Strange rose bushes with thousands of blooms?

debbysunshine(san diego)April 13, 2008

I have beautiful rose bushes growing in the front garden but I noticed that last year I had a pretty wine multi blooming say three to four inch blooms hundreds on small leaves but these roses go in and out of my others. This year out of nowhere are a multi colored pink very healthy and unplanted huge bloomer, no diseases or troubles but understand I never planted these bushes and have taken cuttings from these and they sprout up so fast. My question is that maybe one of the original grafts or roots which I;m not all that familliar with that subject has taken off and done their own thing. debbysunshine@hotmail.com

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
object16

can you take some pics and post in flickr? it's probably rootstock, my hunch.

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 6:45PM
cottage_garden(Z10 CA)

Sounds like the original was a graft on a different root stock. I've seen that same rose on several different plants. Have read where you cut that portion back so it doesn't take over as it's a vigorous grower. It's apparently a very common rose to graft to because it's so vigorous. Think it's called a rugosa rose. Deep burgundy, single petals, masses of blooms and extremely hardy. I always just cut it back as the rose that's grafted on (for me - the one I purchased) is more important than the graft.

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 11:12PM
j.song(9)

Debbiesunshine-it certainly sounds a lot like you have rootstock that has grown and is blooming with whatever was grafted to it. the rootstock is Dr. Huey, and easily checked out at Help Me Find Roses. It is an old garden rose that is used a lot in the S.W.-I know I have seen it here growing wild in San Diego, and it can get covered with those cute little semi-double deep burgundy blooms. A very tough once bloomer, valid in its' own right. j.song

Bookmark   May 1, 2008 at 6:10PM
debbysunshine(san diego)

Since I've taken the suckers from the original plants and put them into large pots you would not believe how quickly they have grown and started to bud with large beautiful blooms. Maybe these were the grafts from originals which is great for me because they want nothing but sun and I have four very large bushes two in other garden areas and three different colored blooms. It's really a treat to watch these plants go from smaller leaves into much larger leaves with so many blooms. Each branch could fill a vase but I love the spuge of color so I just trim when needed.

Bookmark   May 16, 2008 at 1:50PM
More Discussions
Wish me luck!
So, I recently got the chance to get a few Red Intuition...
Joe Moose, Zone 9A
Rose seedlings coming up!
Just thought I'd let y'all know that I have at least...
vmr423
Bare roots left in water in freezing temps ....
Ok.. I forgot and left my brand new bare root climbers...
aprilscott12
Question about growing from seed
So I looked outside today now that the snow has cleared...
lothlin
Export/Import
I am living part of the year in Belgium(Europe) and...
staart
Sponsored Products
F/N Tall Fluorescent Wired Rose Two-Light Wall Sconce
$811.75 | Bellacor
Port 2-Drawer Oval Nightstand
Home Decorators Collection
Home Decorators Area Rug: Blossom Red 8' x 11'
Home Depot
NuFACE Anti-Aging Infusion Serum Trio
$79.00 | FRONTGATE
Blown Glass Chandelier 292
Artisan Crafted Home