never tried propagating roses --- suggestions?

robbiezone5(z5 HudsonValley)April 27, 2006

i have some roses which were planted last year (late spring 2005) -- potted plants. and i have some new roses that i planted, bareroot (pickering), a few weeks ago. a few more (potted) will be arriving soon.

ideally, i'd like to be able to share them with people. but i have absolutely NO experience in this. does anyone have any suggestions for someone like me? i s'pose, the first question is --- is it too soon to even be thinking about this???

thanks so much!

--robbie--

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

Yes. Wait until after the first bloom. With most varieties, cuttings with a flower on them are the proper age for softwood cutting.

Do you have space in NYC for lights? I have had very poor luck with rooted cuttings their first winter outside. Even the hardy varieties are trouble that first winter. I start cuttings inside in pots partially so I can control the light, temperature, etc. but also because they are going to have to spend the winter in pots under those lights also.

Bookmark   April 28, 2006 at 2:53PM
robbiezone5(z5 HudsonValley)

i don't think we'll have room to set up lights here --- possibly i can rig something on a large window sill (1'x6') that gets a lot of light. but this is the only available surface! maybe i can work something out, though.

but i want to start thinking about this now.

thanks kay!

--robbie--

Bookmark   April 28, 2006 at 3:49PM
george_mander(5 to 6)

Make sure you use a window sill at the north side as the sun will cook the cuttings.
The temperature should not go above 72 to 74 F. for best results. Check out my Own Root Cuttings Setup Gallery with detailed comments and info for each of the 30 images.

Here is a link that might be useful: Own Root Cuttings Setup Gallery

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 5:08AM
estevinho(z5 Eastern NY)

Robbie, do you have a balcony or similar outside area you could use in NYC? If so, I think what I would do for any given successfully rooted variety is plant one in your upstate garden, when it is sufficiently strong and hardened off, and leave the other in a pot on this hopefully not mythical balcony in subtropical NYC. I think this belt and suspenders approach increases your odds of successfully overwintering at least one specimen of the variety.

When Kay says "Even the hardy varieties are trouble that first winter", I know that wet protection was a factor in at least some of this trouble. (I'm thinkng specifically of the Apothecary's Rose, and other roses rooted that season.)

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 3:34PM
shawnee(zone 5/6)

Don't the roses have to be own-root to do this?

Bookmark   June 3, 2006 at 9:40PM
collinw(7b)

No, but they will be own-root after you do this. Ha.

Bookmark   June 4, 2006 at 12:34AM
baxboyd(VA 7)

Check out the Make More Roses web site. Although it's still under construction, it should help you with your propagation questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Make More Roses Site

Bookmark   June 4, 2006 at 9:23AM
More Discussions
Hawaii conditions probably not conducive to burrito method
Just wanted to share, I attempted to do the burrito...
msdorkgirl
First time hybridizing -- Have a specific goal. Need advice
Hello, everyone! I have been thinking of trying my...
Greg
Question about growing from seed
So I looked outside today now that the snow has cleared...
lothlin
Rose Tree Grafting Project: Hydra & Ninetails/Kurama
I've recently learn about the "40 fruits tree"...
blackjacket
Sponsored Products
CS026 LED Channel System
EnvironmentalLights.com
Detroit Tigers Garden Flag
$8.99 | zulily
Moooi | Two Tops Secretary
YLighting
Moen T6420BN EVA 2-handle Brushed Nickel Bathroom Trim Kit
Overstock.com
Leonardo Dog Breed Coaster Set
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
iKat Slate Fabric Accent Chair
Overstock.com
Witt Industries Stadium Slot Opening 20 Gallon Blue Recycling Bin - SC20-01-RP-B
$383.99 | Hayneedle
Nantucket Square Planter
Grandin Road
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™