Waiting for the blooms to die

Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9bApril 25, 2013

It's a problem. I have the damp newspaper rolled in a plastic bag, got the thorn stripper, and the rooting hormones all ready, but the roses won't die.

A week later they are so gorgeous!

I know I need the dead heads so the roots no longer feed, and that will be the new breed.

Makes me crazy

Suz

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Well, I wouldn't call that a problem, lol!

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 7:03PM
roseseek

Suz, the wrapping method works best for last years flowering shoots at the middle to end of winter. This years flowering shoots are too soft and contain too few stored nutrients for wrapping. The temps are also too high. I have not had any success using the wraps this late (nor has anyone else who has contacted me about it). This is the time of year when mist propagation or covered pots/cups work better. Feel free to give it a try, but so far, all the experiences I've heard of, plus my one, indicate the condition of material you're describing, time of year and heat all work against success. Kim

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 2:48PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

OK, I'm listening, but this is my last dance. We are moving from this home to another, and I'm taking as many cuttings as I can wrapped in the damp newspaper burrito.

If only one or two take, I'll be happy.

Misting is tough when you are living in two houses 5 times per week!! Serious! I don't even know what day it is. If I can just wrap and let them chill....... Dreams don't always come true.

Suzi

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 3:23PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Thought I would update. After 3 days in the burrito, I checked. Stems are bright green. No mold. I see root initials forming close to the rooting hormone. I think this will have a happy ending!

Suzi

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 8:45PM
More Discussions
Hawaii conditions probably not conducive to burrito method
Just wanted to share, I attempted to do the burrito...
msdorkgirl
Help in propagtion of roses
Hi, I have a flower shop in Manila and we are getting...
amistad123
How does a Tea rose bloom on a Bourbon rosebush?
Could this have been caused only by having a Tea parent? or...
luxrosa
budding versus grafting
Sorry that should read budding versus rooting Hi, This...
sutekesh Switzerland 6a
Looking For Antique/Old Style Rose Cuttings
Back a few years ago when I started my rose garden,...
Debbie P Southern MD Zone 7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™