Species Rose: True to Seed

bev5477April 27, 2008

Hi There,I hope someone has an answer for me. I planted a Baffin Rose last spring . Baffin is an old, hardy climber that originated in Canada. It did great last summer, blooming well for the first year of growth. Last week, I was cleaning him up and doing my first feeding when I noticed a small, reddish rose bush growing about 7 inches from the base of the larger one. My questions are: 1.)Can a species rose have suckers? 2.)Could this little plant be another Baffin from a fallen hip from last year? 3.)Is there such a thing as a 'sucker plant'? By the way, this little guy is about 4 inches tall with 4 main canes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

William Baffin? William Baffin is not a species rose. You might mean that it was own-root. Own root roses can have suckers, and many do. That sucker is also William Baffin. You can try to carefully sever it from the "mother" plant and plant it somewhere else.

Any plants that you might get from seeds of William Baffin might look the same, but wouldn't be William Baffin.

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 2:07PM
object16

very unlikely this is a seedling

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 11:37AM
quiltingfox

I understand when you define own root rose. Can you please define what a species rose is? Will rose seed from a grafted rose have seed of the blooming rose or of the grafted rose? If a grafted rose has suckers will it be of the orginal root stock and not the blooming rose? Thanks.

Bookmark   May 18, 2008 at 3:03PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Species roses are the origin roses, the earliest. You will see them referred to as "Rosa something", for example Rosa multiflora (also noted as R. multiflora) is a species rose. See the link below for a better description. Most of what we grow now are hybrids.

Seeds will be from the variety that is grafted onto the rootstock.

Suckers could be from the rootstock or from the variety. If the sucker comes from below the graft union, then it is a sucker from the rootstock. If the sucker comes from above the graft union, this is new growth of the grafted variety, we usually call these "basal breaks".

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Garden Rose Primer by Steve Jones

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
Question about growing from seed
So I looked outside today now that the snow has cleared...
lothlin
Rose Tree Grafting Project: Hydra & Ninetails/Kurama
I've recently learn about the "40 fruits tree"...
blackjacket
Rootstock question.
I haven't seen this asked so it is probably a really...
sowandgrow
My first year growing roses from seed. I have my first bud!
I have over 30 sprouted now, and I have my first bud! How...
gr8heather
Burrito Wrap Cuttings - What Should I Be Seeing?
I have tried the burrito wrap cutting method - the...
alameda/zone 8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™