HELP!! My First Time Growing Attempt & the Rose Canes Look Dead!

beths_rosesMay 30, 2006

Hello!

Although I'm a total novice to growing roses, and if truth be told I'm on this site to "find out answers about growing Cecile Brunner roses as well as the Zepherine Drouhin. I planted 3 of each last year, and they all took hold rapidly and grew many feet of canes. The Cecile Brunner even produced blooms; one produced about a dozen beautiful little "perfect" pink roses! And they were so heavily scented! Just from those few blooms!

My searching today though, in desperation I might add too, is that I have NO SIGNS OF LIFE on ANY of my 3 Cecile Brunners, PLUS their canes are do dark and really THORNY. And only one of my Zephirines have 'come to life" ~ the others look so dormant.

My question today is "am I not being patient enough?" Our growing season here in Vermont is short, and although we did have a mild winter, as winters go around here (which I was thankful for having just planted them in June last year) I'm worried I need to do something or they're not going to come back. Especially too because one of the Zephirines has been growing rapidly and has ALOT of leaves already, which all remaining 5 plants look dark and dormant.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can share.

Most appreciative,

Beth in Vermont

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Beth,
I'm sorry to say, but it sounds like they are dead. The thorniness of the canes means nothing, but the darkness does. If you cut into them, you will see brown instead of a green rim with a white center.
But check the bases of the plants, you may have some good growth there. If you do, cut away all the dead stuff.
I wish I could tell you why the one Zephirine is doing well and the others didn't. Was the ground different there? Was it moister or drier in that spot during the winter? Did it have more protection from extra mulch or a building? You'll have to figure it out.
When the forsythias bloom is when it is time to trim roses and they really start to grow at the point so you know for next year.
I do hope you don't give up on roses. And next time post onthe regular or antique rose forum, you'll get way more responses and quickly too: )
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses for the North

Bookmark   May 30, 2006 at 11:02PM
More Discussions
Hawaii conditions probably not conducive to burrito method
Just wanted to share, I attempted to do the burrito...
msdorkgirl
Looking For Antique/Old Style Rose Cuttings
Back a few years ago when I started my rose garden,...
Debbie P Southern MD Zone 7
rose cutting in plastic bag
I've taken 2 cuttings from a rose - picture attached...
lenarufus
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
Grafting roses on fortuniana
Hi guys, Last summer I rooted various cuttings of fortuniana...
SoFL Rose z10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™