Welcome back to hail country!

jaliranchr(z5 EC CO)August 1, 2013

It had been going so well this summer. But on a scale of 1 to 10 (and I've seen plenty of 10s) this was about a 2. The tomatoes are bruised but the skin isn't punctured. For a change, the plants weren't chopped to the crowns. Peppers, like the tomatoes, lost a lot of flowers, but the fruit is fine. Amazingly, the pea to marble sized garbage didn't hurt the ripe/ripening squash. There were even bees visiting the zukes this morning. The annual flowers fared well. I'm counting my blessings this morning considering we got .58" rain and hail in 20 minutes last night. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

Sorry to hear you got hail, Jali, but really glad to hear it wasn't "too" bad this time! I remember a few years back when you posted pics of "what was left" of your tomatoes--STEMS! So glad to hear that didn't happen again, especially this late when there wouldn't be time at all for them to recover!

Were the tornado warnings out there anywhere near you yesterday? Didn't get anything at all up here on the North End yesterday--could hardly believe it when the severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings started scrolling across the TV screen! Hopin' for some hail-less precip today--or in the next couple days at least! The monsoon has been fairly good to me this year, but I have WAY had it with the humidity! For weeks now the humidity INSIDE my house has been over 50%, unheard of for THAT long, and I am SO tired of feeling cold and clammy all the time! So if it's gonna stay this humid I hope I at least get some more actual precip with it!

Hope you stay safe from the hail for the rest of the summer,
Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Jali's tomatoes in '09!

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 1:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jaliranchr(z5 EC CO)

Thanks, Skybird, we were southeast of the tornado warning near Deer Trail which never materialized (musta been scared they'd shoot it as a drone). The hail sounded horrible, as it always does, but the damage wasn't that serious.

Sorry the humidity has crept into your house, but I think we're all thrilled the monsoons seem to have found their groove again, even if they get fierce once in awhile.

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 9:16PM
More Discussions
When should I begin pruning last year's perennials?
Hello, all. I'm wondering when is the best time to...
robin44444
New perennial bed, need some ideas and help
So, I brought this up to Skybird in another thread...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Spring Swap
Hi All, as discussed at the last spring swap, my sisters...
gjmancini
Holly, potatoes!
I tried to send you an email but apparently the mobile...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Crops That Can Thrive At Lower Temps
Hey gardening geniuses.... glad to see most of us made...
garnergarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™