Hybridizing Roses: What to do when it rains

ramblinrosez7b(JerseyShore)May 26, 2006

I just made about 8 crosses about 3 hours ago and it is going to rain, do I need to cover them? If so what is the best way to do this? And I was always curious about this, how long does it take for a rose to become pregnant with child after you apply the pollen? Thanks so much

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
george_mander(5 to 6)

Most crosses did not take for me when it was raining after pollination, even though I put umbrellas over the whole bush. Was lucky to have 30 % to set seeds.

In 1989 I gave up with roses in the ground after 20 years of hybridizing big roses in the open. Now I have all my seedparents in 2 to 5 gall. pots which are under my porch for a week before and after pollination. I am getting 70 to 80 percent seedset now. Read some of my articles on my web-site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses of Excellence

Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 10:03PM
ramblinrosez7b(JerseyShore)

George thanks so much for your reply. You have a very interesting web-site, I bookmarked it in my favorites so I can visit it again, there is a great deal of information on there that I know I will need. Thanks for posting it.

I guess I will have to start planting roses in pots which I really wanted to avoid, I have no where to keep them through the winters.
Another question I wanted to ask is do you think it is ok to spray for BS or to use fertilizer a few weeks after pollination?? I know it is very necessary to keep your plants with hips very healthy. I did use the Bayer 3 in 1 about a month ago and am thinking of using it again in another 3 weeks. What is your experience with this? Thanks again!

Bookmark   May 27, 2006 at 1:15PM
george_mander(5 to 6)

Yes, I can answer your two questions.
# 1 : About 8 to 10 days after pollination you can spray a fungicide again.
# 2 : Wait 3 to 4 weeks, go easy on the fertilizer and use less than normal. I have always been reading, starve your seedparents and you may get a higher percentage of seedset.

Some varieties, (eg, Fragrant Cloud) are difficult to get seedset. I have been reading a lot about this variety and when I tried it, only one out of 20 crosses would take on a budded plant. Then I tried an own root plant (which do not grow too vigorously) and 8 out of 10 took. After my discovery I always used own root plants if possible.

Bookmark   May 27, 2006 at 5:09PM

George, thanks for answering my questions and also for the advice on own root plants. Now I have about 5 plants that I started from cuttings that are about 2 years old, would these be on thier own roots?

Bookmark   May 27, 2006 at 7:57PM
george_mander(5 to 6)

Yes, since you started these from cuttings, they are "Own root plants"
George

Bookmark   May 28, 2006 at 1:33AM

Thanks George. :)

Bookmark   May 28, 2006 at 6:18PM
More Discussions
Wish me luck!
So, I recently got the chance to get a few Red Intuition...
Joe Moose, Zone 9A
Grafting roses on fortuniana
Hi guys, Last summer I rooted various cuttings of fortuniana...
SoFL Rose z10
Looking every where for a Moon Shadow Rose
Okay, I have searched and researched the internet for...
stodgord488
budding versus grafting
Sorry that should read budding versus rooting Hi, This...
sutekesh Switzerland 6a
Where to find the largest selection of Florist Roses?
I live in a pretty big city, Houston, but I am flummoxed...
kfoxxed
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™