Hybridizing Roses: What to do when it rains

ramblinrosez7b(JerseyShore)May 26, 2006

I just made about 8 crosses about 3 hours ago and it is going to rain, do I need to cover them? If so what is the best way to do this? And I was always curious about this, how long does it take for a rose to become pregnant with child after you apply the pollen? Thanks so much

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
george_mander(5 to 6)

Most crosses did not take for me when it was raining after pollination, even though I put umbrellas over the whole bush. Was lucky to have 30 % to set seeds.

In 1989 I gave up with roses in the ground after 20 years of hybridizing big roses in the open. Now I have all my seedparents in 2 to 5 gall. pots which are under my porch for a week before and after pollination. I am getting 70 to 80 percent seedset now. Read some of my articles on my web-site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses of Excellence

Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 10:03PM
ramblinrosez7b(JerseyShore)

George thanks so much for your reply. You have a very interesting web-site, I bookmarked it in my favorites so I can visit it again, there is a great deal of information on there that I know I will need. Thanks for posting it.

I guess I will have to start planting roses in pots which I really wanted to avoid, I have no where to keep them through the winters.
Another question I wanted to ask is do you think it is ok to spray for BS or to use fertilizer a few weeks after pollination?? I know it is very necessary to keep your plants with hips very healthy. I did use the Bayer 3 in 1 about a month ago and am thinking of using it again in another 3 weeks. What is your experience with this? Thanks again!

Bookmark   May 27, 2006 at 1:15PM
george_mander(5 to 6)

Yes, I can answer your two questions.
# 1 : About 8 to 10 days after pollination you can spray a fungicide again.
# 2 : Wait 3 to 4 weeks, go easy on the fertilizer and use less than normal. I have always been reading, starve your seedparents and you may get a higher percentage of seedset.

Some varieties, (eg, Fragrant Cloud) are difficult to get seedset. I have been reading a lot about this variety and when I tried it, only one out of 20 crosses would take on a budded plant. Then I tried an own root plant (which do not grow too vigorously) and 8 out of 10 took. After my discovery I always used own root plants if possible.

Bookmark   May 27, 2006 at 5:09PM

George, thanks for answering my questions and also for the advice on own root plants. Now I have about 5 plants that I started from cuttings that are about 2 years old, would these be on thier own roots?

Bookmark   May 27, 2006 at 7:57PM
george_mander(5 to 6)

Yes, since you started these from cuttings, they are "Own root plants"
George

Bookmark   May 28, 2006 at 1:33AM

Thanks George. :)

Bookmark   May 28, 2006 at 6:18PM
More Discussions
Looking every where for a Moon Shadow Rose
Okay, I have searched and researched the internet for...
stodgord488
My first year growing roses from seed. I have my first bud!
I have over 30 sprouted now, and I have my first bud! How...
gr8heather
How to start rugosa rose seeds?
I received some of these in a trade. I cold stratted...
zzackey
Help! Looking for the following roses:
Does anyone know a good source for these roses in Canada?: Alba...
ruilongt
Why does one rose's seeds sprout more than another?
I just planted rose seeds from several of my roses...
caflowerluver
Sponsored Products
Core Power Cell Rapid Charger - CRC6500
$94.99 | Hayneedle
Serta Revival Firm King Size Mattress and Foundation Set
Overstock.com
Wolf Unity Latex Hybrid Mattress with Cotton Cover - STY-1010
$541.67 | Hayneedle
Hampton Small Aged Brass Semi Flush Ceiling Light
$418.00 | Bellacor
Serta Revival Firm Full-size Mattress and Foundation Set
Overstock.com