Propagate roses while on vacation?

jbrickmMay 12, 2010

I'm going to be out of country for 4 weeks and want to ensure that I take some cuttings and set them up so that they can root while I'm out.

The plants I'd like to propagate are - "Peace rose", Double Delight and Blue Girl. This is just for personal use not commercial.

Without having to buy a cloning set up for several hundred dollars, what propagation techniques can I use to ensure that my cuttings take root while I'm away?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hydro_nutrients

You can try propagating it with perlite or vermiculite. Or you can go with a 50-50% blend of potting soil and perlite, they say that this combination is the most successful in rooting rose cuttings because it is a very light blend that encourages the roots to grow quickly. While some use blends of sand or vermiculite and gain a considerable success with.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 6:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengrace(9)

Above advice is real good, keep in mind that they need humidity while they are trying to develop a root system. If you don't have someone to lightly spray the cuttings, try setting the containers with the cuttings in a tray with pebbles and water. also dipping the cuttings in a rooting hormone is a good idea, hope this will help you, it'
s so hard to go away when we try to garden!

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 8:54PM
More Discussions
New to the art of roses, but would greatly appreciate some cuttings ..
I'm fairly new to growing and maintaining roses but...
naeger129
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
Winter Rose Propagation
I live in Colorado where dry air and irregular weather...
pizzuti
Grafting roses on fortuniana
Hi guys, Last summer I rooted various cuttings of fortuniana...
SoFL Rose z10
Rose Tree Grafting Project: Hydra & Ninetails/Kurama
I've recently learn about the "40 fruits tree"...
blackjacket
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™