Query about the length of a cutting

mike_jw(London. UK)May 28, 2012

My wife took a single pencil-thickness cutting of the floribunda rose 'Radox Bouquet'. In the first year it got off to a very slow start. But now, after about 2 or 3 years is producing more and more stems and flowers.

Links to photos:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/ISO1/4e0e6223.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/ISO1/ebfad451.jpg

But, as you can see, all the growth is at the top of the original stem. Its never been pruned, as we were worried that there might not be any 'eyes' lower down. Is it possible that the cutting should have been longer so that any dormant eyes would have been below the soil surface?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
t-bred(5)

It does appear to be sending out all new growth higher up on the plant instead of at ground level. If it were mine I would take cuttings from new growth(after flowering) and aim for at least 1 bud eye above cut but planted underground when rooting.I'm not sure how tall the plant is now but perhaps you could replant it deeper with the section sending out the growth at ground level (wait until you get some rooted cuttings in case you lose the mother plant) I have the same rose known as Thornbury Castle to me , it is lovely and quite easy to root.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 3:10PM
mike_jw(London. UK)

The length of the bare stem from ground level to where the new stems are growing is 12in/30cms, so it would have to be re-planted a foot deeper in order to 'loose' the main stem.

Your idea of taking further cuttings is a good one but, with us, they take so long to produce a decent size.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 5:31PM
t-bred(5)

My other concern is that the stem probably can't support much more top growth.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 6:20PM
seil zone 6b MI

That shaft looks pretty sturdy to me. I've often gotten grafted roses that looked like that and they do just fine. The only other thing I could suggest would be to dig it up and bury it deeper and see if it send up some new basal breaks then.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 7:05PM
overdrive

I take cuttings with only 2 nodes. The bottom node leaf is removed, and the top leaf is retained. The root itself will form new buds, and you should get canes coming up from the root. See the object16 thread about cuttings taken in the fall - his cuttings are all taken with two nodes only, and I have seen the bushes lately, and they are sending up immense numbers of canes from the root.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 12:45PM
More Discussions
Looking For Antique/Old Style Rose Cuttings
Back a few years ago when I started my rose garden,...
Debbie P Southern MD Zone 7
Winter Rose Propagation
I live in Colorado where dry air and irregular weather...
pizzuti
Where to find the largest selection of Florist Roses?
I live in a pretty big city, Houston, but I am flummoxed...
kfoxxed
Hawaii conditions probably not conducive to burrito method
Just wanted to share, I attempted to do the burrito...
msdorkgirl
Air layering
This may have been posted here but I could not find...
derby41
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™