Chilli Plant Dx?

Mitchrob99October 13, 2012

Hi

I have been trying to work out if this is aphid damage, chemical burns or heat shock..or BOTH!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DMForcier(8 DFW)

Aphids attack the growing tips and I don't see any in this pic. Why do you suspect chemical burn? Did you apply something to the leaves?

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 1:15PM
habjolokia

Do you only suspect aphids or did you encounter them? If you encountered them did you apply any treatment? What are you using as a fertilizer? How often do you water and use fertilizer? These questions will help us to answer your question.

Mark

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 9:13PM
Mitchrob99

Hi

I have been trying to get rid of aphids on and off for a few weeks. They keep coming back. I have been using a chemical pesticide.

I water every day, and I've noticed the soils has not been drying out, could I be watering to much? The pot also contains about 50% soil from jiffy pellets.

I have been using a Hydroponic liquid fertilizer call Proganics Stimuliser and also another all round liquid fertilizer called magic bud grow. I use them around once per fortnight.

The plant is a Butch T Scorpion chilli. It has been getting full sun light and temp has been about 30C.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 2:21AM
esox07

If you are watering every day, you are certainly watering tooooo much. That can cause all kinds of problems. I am not sure that is what is causing the problems you describe however. I dont think it is aphid damage either. Are you sure you have aphids?

You should only water when the soil is almost completely dried out. That means dried from top to bottom, not only the top layer. Check the soil using a wooden stick of some sort. Bamboo skewers work well. Stick it into the soil and then pull it out. If it comes out with soil stuck to it, the soils is plenty wet.

I would start there and see if the plant responds to less watering.
Bruce

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 3:41AM
Mitchrob99

Thanks Bruce! I'll see how it goes

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 3:53AM
esox07

By the way, here is what an aphid infestation on a pepper plant will look like:

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 4:16AM
habjolokia

Agree with Bruce too much watering. Also if you are applying chemicals, avoid spraying during the day, in the hot sun it could cause leaves to burn. Also your plant is ready to be potted up to a bigger pot. Too much nitrogen brings on more aphids as the seedling will be weak but full of juices they cant wait to sink their suckers into. Let us know how it goes.

Mark

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 3:50PM
Mitchrob99

Will re pot.

Thanks for the help people!

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 5:52PM
Mitchrob99

Thanks for the help guys

Just wanted to show you how it's going. I think I was over watering! It's looking much better now! Though I have aphids galore and can't seem to shake the little buggers!!!!!!!

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 5:03PM
esox07

Yes, looking much, much better. Glad to hear it.
Bruce

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 6:57PM
rdback(Z6 VA)

Plant looks much better - congrats.

For aphids, don't forget about natural predators, like ladybugs. Very effective control.

Rick

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
Need A TON of help on bhut jalokias
I'm growing bhut jalokias Carolina reapers and Trinidad...
bigcatcal
Need advice on how to suspend shop lights.
So I bought the below metal shelving to house seedling...
peps_22
Fish pepper info?
Once more turning to my hot pepper elders... I used...
uncleflip
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™