Optimum time to take a cutting?

francie12(5 SE Iowa)May 24, 2007

To my delight, I've just discovered three different OGRs (I think they're OGRs... I'll post their pics to try to identify when I can figure out how to do it) in an obscure corner of our school courtyard. My plan is to take cuttings and try to root them, but I'd like to do it at the most optimum time for success. I believe I read somewhere that canes that have already bloomed are the best bet. The things are about to explode into bloom, so I'm trying to be patient. At what stage are the chances of success the best?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosyone(z8 north Louisiana)

I usually select cuttings from stems with blooms that have recently pasted their prime, a little bit earlier than I would otherwise dead head the spent blooms. The absolute optimal time is after the bud shows color, before it opens, but few roses are so difficult to root (with good technique) that you really need to sacrifice the bloom before it can be enjoyed.

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 8:28AM
jimnginger(9)

Where do I find "good technique" to root roses?
Thanks - Jim

Bookmark   May 30, 2007 at 8:05AM
rosyone(z8 north Louisiana)

Jim, you find "good technique" through research and experimentation. Most people start with someone else's proven, but not exhaustively explained method and then have to tweak it and ask questions to fill in the details and fit local conditions. Few manage a high success rate on the first try.

Bookmark   May 31, 2007 at 5:05PM
francie12(5 SE Iowa)

Thanks for the input, Rosyone.

Jim--I found a section entitled "How to Take Cuttings" in th Antique Rose Emporium catalog. It has several methods from which to choose, all of them, deceptively I'll bet, easy to do! I will experiment and then post with the results. Good luck!

Bookmark   May 31, 2007 at 5:21PM
More Discussions
Best way to start from cuttings
I used to be really good at starting roses, and it...
LeeBeesGarden
Need advice on prepping rootstock...
I am just beginning to try rooting some DR HUEY for...
bethnorcal9
I have roots!
Thanks to all the lovely suggestions and help posted...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
How to start rugosa rose seeds?
I received some of these in a trade. I cold stratted...
zzackey
how do I propagate a rose bush?
and when should I transplant a rosebush that it will...
mary grether
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™