propagating roses in a greenhouse

oberciMay 23, 2014

So the Mr graciously purchased a beautiful glass greenhouse for me for mother's day, but being a new gardener, I'm not entirely sure how to use it! It is the 6' x 4' Palram Harmony greenhouse from costco if anyone is curious to look it up and maybe give some feedback.

I started my first 3 rose cuttings 3-4 weeks ago. They are in individual plastic pots, in a fast draining cactus potting mix (I can go find the bag and list the exact one if anyone is curious), were wet thoroughly, and then I covered the cutting and the container with a gallon sized ziplock bag. I put them on the east side of the house underneath my potting bench and basically left them alone although I did check often to make sure the soil was still damp.

They are all green and look quite happy. One however lost a few of its leaves because they were touching the plastic bag covering it, so the leaves got moldy and fell off. None have put out new growth yet.

Back to the GREENHOUSE: Is it a good idea to set up the glass greenhouse on the east side of the house so it only gets morning sun? If I transfer the rose cuttings to the greenhouse can I remove the plastic bags covering them? Is it possible to use glass bell jars to cover cuttings instead of bags (I don't have many but I do have a few large ones).

Thanks to anyone who can help out this novice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

I only have a small portable vinyl greenhouse but I do keep my cuttings in there. I do not cover them with anything because it's always warmer and more humid inside the greenhouse than outside. That's the purpose of the baggies, to create a greenhouse affect. So I would think they'd be unnecessary if they're already IN a greenhouse. I'd be afraid that in a glass greenhouse with glass bell jars there would be a chance that the cuttings would cook inside. Even in just morning sun all that glass will act like a magnifying glass.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 10:11PM
oberci

I goofed up when I first posted, as hubby informed me that the greenhouse is not glass but polycarbonate.

As far as the cutting go, how long do I have to keep the soil evenly moist ?

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 1:11PM
gardenper(8)

Since I usually may not see how the root is growing or forming, I keep the soil moist until I see new growth from new leaves.

At that point, I still may keep it in shade until it has a few well-developed leaves, then I'll start the process to harden it off if I'm keeping it in that pot. If not, then I may wait a little longer for a well-formed root-ball (based on leaf growth), then transplant it out of its pot to a new location.

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 1:19PM
caflowerluver

You might want to check out the Greenhouse forum. Lots of good information there. I start my rose cuttings in a homemade hydroponic set up inside the shed (see Hydroponics forum). Once they have roots I transfer them to pots and then move them to the greenhouse in winter. I have tried ALL the rooting methods and that one works best for me.

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 1:10PM
More Discussions
Seeking R. Primula
I'd happily get this from a nursery if I could find...
Helen Forsyth
Need advice on prepping rootstock...
I am just beginning to try rooting some DR HUEY for...
bethnorcal9
Burrito Wrap Cuttings - What Should I Be Seeing?
I have tried the burrito wrap cutting method - the...
alameda/zone 8
Magic Wand
Does anyone have rooted cuttings of magic wand available?...
littleblackbat
Question about growing from seed
So I looked outside today now that the snow has cleared...
lothlin
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Karastan Rugs Newbridge Sandstone 3 ft. 6
Home Depot
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Karastan Rugs Aberdeen Granite 8 ft. x 11
Home Depot
Sea Gull Canterbury Bathroom Sconce - 7W in. Antique Bronze - ENERGY STAR - 4965
$62.10 | Hayneedle
Flowmaster Gallon Meter - HLFM
$90.96 | Hayneedle
Clean Machine Door Mats Ultimate Garage Black 18 in. x 34 in. Door Mat 10371026
$15.97 | Home Depot
Monte Carlo 5CY60WH Cyclone 60 in. Indoor / Outdoor Ceiling Fan - White - ENERGY
$335.00 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Karastan Rugs Irvine Sandstone 5 ft. 3 in. x 7
Home Depot
Access Lighting Bo Wall Fixture 62236-BS/OPL - 12W in. Brushed Steel Multicolor
$112.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™