Progress and questions

hdchan(z5 IN)May 5, 2006

Hi all,

Okay, after noticing that some people use table top greenhouses, this is what I have done... stuck callused cuttings in clear cups of seed starting soil, sealed them in baggies, and stuck them in the greenhouse. After a month, I have more foilage than I have ever gotten in previous attempts. I have the next several days off, and plan on hardening them off out of their baggies, but plan on keeping them in the greenhouse for a while longer. Like someone said before, I'm just going to try to hold my mouth right and see how it goes...

A few of the cuttings... their leaves are looking a bit wilted and puny... should their be cause for alarm for this? The stems are still green and healthy. Should I leave them in their baggies for a bit longer?

When I remove them from their baggies and return them to the greenhouse, should I spray them with a weak fertilizer or peroxide/water mix? The greenhouse is on the north side of the house. Should I be concerned about moss growth?

Thanks for any help!

Holly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hdchan(z5 IN)

Okay following up...

I went out late this afternoon and EEK... found the sun hitting my little greenhouse.... guess that answers my question about the wilting leaves... they are being BAKED!!!

I went ahead and pulled them out of their little baggies for a few hours, but kept them in the greenhouse, which steamed up pretty nice :)

I replaced them in their baggies for night, and will probably keep them in there for a while longer, since the discovery of the baking. I will move them to a more shaded area and give them a few more days before trying to harden them off again.

Thanks,
Holly

Bookmark   May 6, 2006 at 11:52PM
More Discussions
WANTED: thornless repeat bloomers, Old Roses and Noisettes best
Have unusual tropicals to trade at tropicalgardener@gmail.com...
Tropical Gardener
Best way to start from cuttings
I used to be really good at starting roses, and it...
LeeBeesGarden
Export/Import
I am living part of the year in Belgium(Europe) and...
staart
New to the art of roses, but would greatly appreciate some cuttings ..
I'm fairly new to growing and maintaining roses but...
naeger129
Seeking R. Primula
I'd happily get this from a nursery if I could find...
Helen Forsyth
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™