Small-scale indoor winter pepper garden

don555(3a)November 6, 2013

Some folks here have huge pepper gardens and that can be intimidating to us dabblers. I grow about 4 patio-pots of early-ripening hot peppers outdoors during summer, and during winter I grow a few peppers under lights, usually in 6" pots.

Last winter I grew under shop-lights a couple pots of some Naga variety... I got the seed from a trade on this site. At first I didn't think I'd actually use any of the peppers since they are wickedly beyond anything I'd sampled previously, but I grew to like them and now I'm down to the last couple pods and I need a new crop. So here it is in its early stages...

I planted indoor Naga peppers July 28 under lights, and these plants just got their first blossoms today, all 3 of them.

Here's a closer up shot of one of the Nagas today, showing lots of buds.

Here's a pic of my indoor set up, with the Nagas in the back row and some cayenne-like hot pepper in the foreground. I've also got a pot of Thai Sun pepper growing, to act as a pollen source when the cayenne-like plant stops flowering, plus some random pots of basil, etc.

If last year is any indication, I won't be picking ripe-red Naga pots until at least February 2014.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CanadianLori(6a Oakville)

How nice to have fresh in February!

Good looking set up.

Okay, now I've got to know - why is it that pepper people are tidy people? I haven't seen one photo with any messes or clutter in them and I'm sure that we all don't stage each and every pic!

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 7:29AM
jtight

At ~ 3.5 months in, those look good.

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 7:37AM
tsheets(5)

See there, you went and got hooked, Don! Funny how that works, isn't it? haha! Looking really good!

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 9:59PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

That is quite a challenge and accomplishment there.
Well done

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 7:05AM
don555(3a)

Thanks all! There's something tantalizing, a bit delightfully decadent really, about growing superhots in the basement under lights. Kind of like a grow-op without the risk of getting busted, but something that most neighbors would still be shocked to discover that you are growing in your basement...

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 2:58AM
More Discussions
Sprouting leaves on peppers drying
My new leaves are going dark and drying off in most...
tomyres
Hate the new layout
How about you? Usually, I don't care, but this blows. Kevin...
woohooman
Need advice on how to suspend shop lights.
So I bought the below metal shelving to house seedling...
peps_22
Are you a patron of Padron peppers for tapas?
Or would that be 'tapas (appetizer) de padron a patronis'...
bragu_DSM 5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™