spray baby spray

colokid(5)August 28, 2012

I keep notes each year on my tomatoes. I just wrote down to spray. A Grass hopper ate my first nice tomato. Disease has wrecked most plants just as they were going good. Same thing every year. Deformed tomatoes The heat didn't help any.

I swear next year i will spray with fungicide and bug killer every week all summer long.

KennyP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gjcore(zone 5 Aurora Co)

Good idea to keep notes. Another bad year for tomatoes here also. Tore out the remaining ones a few days ago :-( The upside is now I have room for fall crops. Pretty much planted the whole area yesterday.

Next year I will be using fungicides early if I do tomatoes again next year.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 6:00PM
treebarb Z5 Denver

Kennyp,

Another bad grasshopper year here, too. I started with tins of nolo bait in May and dusted with sevin twice, something I hate to do. It knocked them down some. I'm having the same issue where the grasshoppers don't eat the tomato plants, but eat the fruit once it's ripe. The peppers and beans are just decimated. I keep hearing the cycle will break, but I think this is year 4 and I'm pretty discouraged.

Barb

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 9:15AM
colokid(5)

gjcore, Did you figure out what is killing your plants?
My best guess here are; cucumber mosaic virus, curly top virus, or bacterial wilt.
I think I only had 2 grasshopper in my fenced in back yard. The one ruined my biggest and best tomato every morning till I sprayed him, or her.
KennyP

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 9:57AM
jeremywildcat

Always something isn't it! I thought mine were goners when I started getting what appeared to be spotted wilt virus, but they've actually kept growing and it didn't spread as badly as I thought. I sprayed them with daconil, not sure if that helped or if the virus just wasn't too bad. Still getting plenty of tomatoes, they just ripen unevenly now. Taste fine though.

It's tempting to just spray preventative, but I don't know if that would help or not.

Now I'm battling squirrels. I'm trying Deer Off as it's supposed to work for squirrels too, but I'm not sure. The other day I went out to reapply and one of those damn varmints was up on my plants already, so I sprayed him directly. A couple of minutes later the SOB dropped a half eaten tomato from the tree above me, splatted a couple of feet away. Pretty sure I pissed him off and he was out for revenge.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 12:40PM
colokid(5)

squirrel stew.
So far my squirrels haven't bothered tomatoes a bit. Just that one grasshopper ate the biggest and best Cherokee purple ever morning till I kill him/her.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 3:50PM
More Discussions
Howdy from Montana
Howdy to all you Rocky Mountain folks. . . I cant believe...
maidinmontana
Help me plan my Colorado sunshed
This spring I'm converting an existing shed into a...
Golden David
Looking for Greenhouse Plastic & Row Cover source near Denver/Boulder
Hi, I'm looking for a good greenhouse plastic (film...
rossn
THE Best!
We all want wonderful flower and vegetable gardens...
digit
How much light for seedlings...
I've started plants indoors as always. I have my seedlings...
bob_in_colorado
Sponsored Products
Brushed Nickel Wall Mount Tub Shower Mixer Faucet with Divertor
Hudson Reed
Thermostatic Shower System, Square Head, Handset & Square Jet Sprays
Hudson Reed
Vigo Shower Enclosures 38 in. x 78 in. Frameless Neo-Angle Shower Enclosure in
Home Depot
'I Love That You're My Grandmother' Block Sign
$9.99 | zulily
Italtrike 14 in. Atlantic SuperTrike Tricycle - 9041
$126.99 | Hayneedle
Dyconn Faucet Erie 22-inch Contemporary Brushed Nickel Flexible Swivel Kitchen F
Overstock.com
Remer by Nameeks 317RR Handheld Shower Head - REMER 317RR
$46.00 | Hayneedle
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Bay Court Outdoor Brushed Nickel Wall Lanter
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™