Beginner

CassieheartsrosesJune 30, 2012

I have just gotten into wanting to do rose clippings and putting colors together. I have a Kordana rose, a white Peace rose and pink double knock out and I am about to buy about four other breeds. I am extremely interested in cutting these for more plants ect. Any tips or someone who would invest some time to teach a novice? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Be careful to check to see if these roses are patented. It is illegal to root cuttings of patented roses even for personal use. You can check for patents on the US patent site or sometimes at Help Me Find dot com slash roses.

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 10:34AM
MaryDanielle(5)

seil is right. I'm new to roses also, so I didn't have a clue about the patents. I was told that patents are usually only 20 years, so I always add on a few years if I can't find the actual patent information. But the website seil suggested has become my new best friend. If you do have a rose that no longer holds a patent, you can experiment with those.

This is what I do:

Take a fresh cutting, about 6+ inches with a leaf node about an inch or so from the bottom of the cutting. I then *gently* scrape the cutting from just below the leaf node all the way down, and all the way around. Then stick the cutting in some rooting hormone, shake off the excess, and plant in some damp (not super wet) sphagnum moss in a small jar or votive. I use sphagnum because I recall someone telling me it has natural rooting hormones when I was dabbling in bonsai a few years back. The key is to not have it soaking wet, I use physan 20/water mixture to "water" the moss to add a little extra help with keeping the cuttings from growing mold or rotting. Then I place them on a heat mat in my dining room, with indirect light. I've been fairly successful I think for being so new to roses, but this is how I root other types of plants so not much has changed.

Good luck! It's a bit addicting to start rooting. There are other methods that might interest you like layering.

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 10:59PM
MaryDanielle(5)

P.S. I forgot to add removing all but the top 2 leaf sets! :)

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 11:05PM
More Discussions
Looking every where for a Moon Shadow Rose
Okay, I have searched and researched the internet for...
stodgord488
How to start rugosa rose seeds?
I received some of these in a trade. I cold stratted...
zzackey
Rose Tree Grafting Project: Hydra & Ninetails/Kurama
I've recently learn about the "40 fruits tree"...
blackjacket
I have roots!
Thanks to all the lovely suggestions and help posted...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Export/Import
I am living part of the year in Belgium(Europe) and...
staart
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™