Why I like August the bestest of them all.

david52_gwAugust 13, 2011

I can go out early in the morning, when its still cool, and first stop, eat tender, crunchy green beans off the vine, then 4 steps to the left, a dozen ripe cherry tomatoes, and on the way back into the house, half a dozen raw okra. Thats breakfast.

For lunch, its baby eggplant fried in olive oil, with fried green Jimmy Nardano peppers.

Dinner, we're contemplating grilling eggplant, ripe tomatoes, green onions (Unfortunately, soon here, its canning season, which is work :-(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mstywoods(z5, Westminster, CO)

That sounds delightful, David! We have been enjoying some squash, tomatoes, cukes, and some peppers. More tomatoes are forthcoming - still need to ripen. I'm looking forward, actually, to canning them - they make chili, sphagetti sauce, etc. taste so much better!!

The other thing I love about August are the crickets! I really noticed them last summer, and I started hearing them this summer a couple of weeks ago. I don't know whether where we lived before just didn't have many, or if the weather has something to do with it. I just love their music!! It just brings back a feeling of being a kid when we'd go on camping trips during the summer, and time seemed to slow down and you felt like there wasn't a care in the world.

Enjoy: Relaxing Sunrise over a Lake with the sounds of Crickets .

Marj

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 6:39PM
billie_ladybug(5b)

Lets see, tomatoes are still green (yes it is amazing!) Squash is doing great already had several meals from that, cucs blooming like mad, but nobody ready for a salad yet. Winter squash starting to form fruit. My favorite, which I discovered yesterday, softball sized juane canary melon. He is snuggled up right against the block wall that is frames my garden beds, must be pretty cozy. Can't wait to see how he tastes, slurp!

B

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 1:27PM
digit(ID/WA)

The first of the Beefsteaks:

Cucumbers, every day;

Sweet peppers, for dinner last night;

Corn, in the silk.

Steve

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 5:15PM
tommysmommy(Colorado)

Here's why I like August: First Brandywine tomato, best crop I've had so far probably due to a very wet and humid July. This one weighs 12 oz.

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 11:15PM
More Discussions
Ready for Harvest :o)
Here's what some of the plants look like in my greenhouse...
digit
Thornless blackberries in CO?
I've got a front yard veggie/fruit/perennial garden...
packardce
The opening bell has rung
bell peppers? No, not this year, but several hot's! We've...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
I could build that!
Well, why not ? No, that floor isn't sloping. There's...
digit
Spring Swap official site
Good Day all, Just wanted to start an official site...
gjmancini
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™