Lilacs from seed?

colokid(5)August 10, 2012

Any one start lilacs from seed..how hard? Fall or spring?

I have a couple of lilac bushes along my lot edge and would like to make the whole thing a continuous hedge. I see some seeds there and I could save them. I need like 15 or 20 plant to fill in the spaces. Or more. I do have a little green house if that would help.

KennyP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david52_gw

I bought lilac bushes from the Soil Conservancy, and they've done pretty well. I'm constantly pulling up baby lilacs, so it happens.

But from what I know, most people just dig up some of the shoots around the base of an established plant and go with that.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 9:49AM
treebarb Z5 Denver

Kenny, if you want, I'll split my next order of 30 with you in the spring.

Barb

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 8:00PM
colokid(5)

Now I know I am getting old, Barb and David. I never once though of the soil conservation. All I thought of was the box (ugh) stores. Thanks.
I might still grab the seeds and put them in a large tray in the green house over winter for the fun of it. The house next door has a new owner who is completely rebuilding it and mentioned a drip line down the line between our drive ways. that would be great, it sure needs it.
KennyP

Bookmark   August 11, 2012 at 9:45PM
david52_gw

I have no idea if a cold spell is necessary for the seeds to germinate, but I can't see how it would hurt. I'd wait until they're tan and dry on the bush, then put a handful in a plastic bag and freeze them for a month, then try to germinate them.

This year, we had a beautiful display on all the lilacs, and they're now all going to seed. If anybody needs a few dozen pounds of lilac seed........

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 7:47PM
More Discussions
Thornless blackberries in CO?
I've got a front yard veggie/fruit/perennial garden...
packardce
Spring Swap
Hi All, as discussed at the last spring swap, my sisters...
gjmancini
Like to See What is Happening
... in Rocky Mountain weather compared to "normals." Choose...
digit
Lettuce without direct sun?
Hi, everyone! I'm thinking of putting a raised Bed...
flowerridge
I could build that!
Well, why not ? No, that floor isn't sloping. There's...
digit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™