Evelyn, looking good

kathy9norcalMay 22, 2011

Evelyn was an impulse buy at Costco several years ago. I think it is too warm here for Evelyn but I have not given up yet on her. She is supported by a small bamboo structure as the canes grow so long and spindly. Here is her first bloom of the season, a very cool spring for sure.

That is Black Magic on the left.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canadian_rose(zone 3a)

Wow!! Even the buds are huge. I just love that stuffed look of the blooms. And so many blooms.

I think your 2nd picture should be in a calendar. The rustic trellis looks great with the blooms.

Thanks for sharing.

Carol

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 1:19AM
dove_song(WA State Z6b)

Kathy your photos are superb!! I love all of them! :D Evelyn looks so beautiful supported by your cool bamboo structure. Thanks for sharing all of these with us.

Would it be possible for you to post a full bush photo of your Black Magic? I just planted mine today and am really excited about it. Can hardly wait to see the dark red velvety blooms on this jewel. And also I really would like to get a good idea of it's growth habit.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 3:42AM
jeffcat

How big is your Evelyn now?

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 8:03AM
davidchance(7a)

I too would love some photos of Black Magic. I debated on getting it Saturday but chose Fragrant Cloud instead. Mainly because of the scent.

Does your Black Magic have any scent?

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 1:25PM
kathy9norcal

Evelyn is about 5 feet tall, only because of the support it grows on. I am limited on space and can't afford to have a sprawler-spreader, so she grows up so far. It is the third year in the ground so I will see how she grows.

Here is Black Magic bush. I prune severely each winter, removing all the diseased canes. It then keeps growing and blooming nicely all summer.
David, I am scent-impaired and will have DH sniff it tonight to see if it has an aroma.

You can see it is an upright grower (vase shaped), not a spreader for me. That is the amazing Apricot Passion behind it in the photo. Route 66 is in the upper left.
K

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 3:09PM
More Discussions
Roses "X, Y, Z"
Ok this is it. Done for another season! Next... on...
bethnorcal9
Pat Bama you've identified my mystery rose!!!
Hello Pat Bama, I saw the pretty pictures you posted...
Verdi Guy
Roses "S"
Well, we're getting close to the end. By the time we're...
bethnorcal9
Looking for Ice drift rose
Several years ago I planted several "ground cover...
earliglo
White Roses with Pink Edging
Out of curiosity I am wondering how many WHITE roses...
sara_ann-z6bok
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™