When to pot up rooted cuttings

rosewylde(z7 NC)June 9, 2006

My misting system (trialed last season and improved for this one) is working far beyond my expectations. So far I have about 70 rooted cuttings--some with the roots poking out of the 12 ounce opaque plastic cups that they were started in. How long do I have to wait before potting them up into gallon containers and moving them out from under the misting system? Do I go by top growth, length and number of roots??? Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Laurel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mgleason56(Michigan 5b)

I pot up when roots are coming out of holes. I move mine to the bottom shelf on my misting system for 1 week, then move them out. The bottom of my sytem just gets sporadic misting, since no misters are located there.

Bookmark   June 9, 2006 at 2:56PM
michela

I too tried the misting system suggested by many at this site with much success so far!!! 3 weeks into the process have 45 clippings with leaves sprouting from the twigs - checked for roots today - none yet. Have 5 clippings per clear plastic pot. When do I move to soil and do I continue to mist at that point?

Bookmark   June 9, 2006 at 9:17PM
rosewylde(z7 NC)

mgleason, Thanks for your response. Potting up when the roots poke out certainly makes good sense, otherwise the little guys would be vulnerable to damage. Putting the potted up plants on a shelf underneath the system won't work for my set up, but i can have them to the side where they will receive sporadic misting.

michela, Yes, this is exciting. I thought 'Oklahoma' was fast--taking only 3 weeks to root, and then 'La Tosca' took only 17 days!! I have only one cutting per container so it's really easy to move them. When potting up I use a lightweight potting mix I make up of a commercial mix (one without added fertilizer) with pine bark fines and perlite added. mgleason seems to have the answer to your questions as they are much the same as mine.
Laurel

Bookmark   June 11, 2006 at 10:18AM
More Discussions
Rootstock question.
I haven't seen this asked so it is probably a really...
sowandgrow
Wish me luck!
So, I recently got the chance to get a few Red Intuition...
Joe Moose, Zone 9A
Burrito Wrap Cuttings - What Should I Be Seeing?
I have tried the burrito wrap cutting method - the...
alameda/zone 8
Tea cuttings
If there is anyone out there who could send me all...
bevgail9
Seeking R. Primula
I'd happily get this from a nursery if I could find...
Helen Forsyth
Sponsored Products
2-Pc. Hogshead Cutting Board Set
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
Waterproof Orange LED Neon, by the Meter
EnvironmentalLights.com
Nova Hirozen Aluminum Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Brown Wavy Estella Turkish Area Rug (6' x 8')
Overstock.com
Zeus Bookends - Light Green Onyx - BE20-LG
$90.99 | Hayneedle
Dahlia Rectangular Outdoor Coffee Table - Black, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Drop Trim with Housing by Leucos Lighting
$156.87 | Lumens
Wisteria Tiffany Stained Glass Table Lamps
ParrotUncle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™