unknown old rose?

beth7happyJune 23, 2012

In May we were visiting our son and DIL to greet our newest grandson in the Savannah area. (Thank you, he IS fantastic!) Over their back fence (6 ft stockade) were casecades of beautiful clusters of small pink roses - stems without thorns, it seems! The neighbor said, "Oh just take some stems and stick them into the ground. This was from something my mother got that survived Katrina in New Orleans!" Wow...that easy?? I'm a skeptic! So, brought home 9 little pieces and plunked them into drain-less clear cups in a mix of potting soil, and vermiculite...watered gently with aspirin water...placed in a make-shift plastic greenhouse like thing. This morning it seems that 5 of the 9 have a fair chance...one more a very weak 'maybe'. I moved them from the drainless cups to regular small clay pots with a drain hole. It's pretty humid here in Florida right now so I'm tossing the greenhouse thing. Any other suggestions??? (I DID actually see some roots during the change!) An I on the right track??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roseseek

Does this look like your rose? It sounds from what you've written, you're doing what you should be doing. Congratulations! Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Peggy Martin

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 5:31AM
beth7happy

Thank you, Kim! I sure look similar, don't you think? Hoping that the cuttings will take...this is sure a show-stopper!!

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 7:45AM
hartwood

The rose that survived Hurricane Katrina is "Peggy Martin". I have two of them, and it is exactly as you describe. Cascades of pink flowers and almost no thorns. Your cuttings will root, because "Peggy Martin" is really easy to propagate. (It's one of my favorites!)

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 8:00AM
beth7happy

thank you both for your responses. EXCITED about the prospects of having this beautiful plant. We're going to my son's again this weekend...I'm tempted to take even a few more cuttings. (Not that I want to be a piggie, but I REALLY want to have this rose!)

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 12:31PM
floridarosez9

I would get more just in case. It is lovely. Then maybe you could trade with Ernie who is looking for cuttings.

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 9:17AM
More Discussions
budding versus grafting
Sorry that should read budding versus rooting Hi, This...
sutekesh Switzerland 6a
Chicago Peace Rose Help
Ok everyone I am looking for a Chicago peace rose for...
for_my_kids
Grafting roses on fortuniana
Hi guys, Last summer I rooted various cuttings of fortuniana...
SoFL Rose z10
cuttings for rooting
I have been a miniature rose lover for a long time...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
First time hybridizing -- Have a specific goal. Need advice
Hello, everyone! I have been thinking of trying my...
Greg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™