first time doing it the right way

ka0ttic(CFL 9b)November 12, 2013

Hey folks,

I just wanted to say hi to everyone. I've been lurking for quite a while and learning a lot. I've dabbled growing peppers here and there but haven't been very successful up to this point, mainly because I didn't know what I was doing and I always seemed to pick the worst time of year to do it ;-)

I've learned a lot from this forum and others over the last couple months and I know what I've done wrong in the past. This time around, I'm taking it much more seriously, and planning ahead of time. Stoked to get seeds started in the next couple months! Already have about 28cu ft of 5-1-1 mix ready to go too.

I ordered some tomato (not listed) and pepper seeds from Tomato Growers Supply Company that arrived the other day:

- Jalapeno M
- Ancho San Luis
- Cajun Bell (seemed interesting...)
- Fatalli

Pretty tame compare to what most you folks are growing! I really wanted to try some Bhut and Jamaican Hot Chocoloate but there were sold out :(

There's a nursery in Daytona that had some small Bhut plants with ripe pods on them. I was thinking about just buying one and saving the seeds and trying to overwinter it as well (it only gets in down in the 20s a few nights here), but who knows if the seeds would grow true...

Anyways, just wanted to say hi to everyone. I look forward to sharing my progress and hopefully I'll be making some hot sauce next summer!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esox07 (4b)

Holy crap....28 CF is a lot of 5-1-1.
You are going to need whole lot of seed to be able to use all that up. That equates to well over 150 gallons.
Anyway, you might want to get into one of the seed swaps to get some additional varieties of seeds or just ask for some you are specifically looking for. I could send you some "Giant GHost" (Bhut) seeds. I have several other varieties as well but most are not isolated although they will likely grow true as is the case with most open pollinated pepper seeds. Let me know and good luck.
Bruce

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 11:31AM
ka0ttic(CFL 9b)

Well let's see... I have 5 or 6 different varieties of tomatoes and 5 or 6 different varieties of peppers and some tomatillo seeds. I figured I'd do 2 of each kind and the tomatoes/tomatillos will be in pretty big pots so I think I'll be pretty close to using it all. The math equals about 215 gallons (0.13CF per gallon I think?) but obviously it will be less than that after it settles.

I'd definitely be interested in some giant bhuts. That'd be most awesome of you Bruce.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 12:03PM
esox07 (4b)

Check your email.
Bruce

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 12:45PM
scorpion_john(6)

Since Bruce already offered you the giant bhut, i can offer you the little bhuts (indian carbon) and most likely any other superhot you are interested in. John

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 3:50PM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

There is nothing "tame" about fatalii.

Tomatoes can use a lot dirt - er, "medium". Wisht I had ginned up 28 cu ft last spring...

This forum taught me how to grow and now I are a big success, judging by the pod pile on the table. May you have a pod pile too.

Dennis

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 6:16PM
ka0ttic(CFL 9b)

Haha thanks Dennis.

John, I appreciate the offer. Bruce said he was sending a few others as well, so I'll wait and see. I'll let you know.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 8:11PM
ka0ttic(CFL 9b)

I was near that nursery today and stopped in. I didn't see the Bhut with the ripe pods but I did see one that looked pretty solid. At $2 I couldn't pass it up lol... Being in Central FL, I'm sure it will overwinter fine just by bringing it in on the colder nights. I potted it in a 3gal with 5-1-1.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 11:04PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Man ! @ $2, that is a steal. What is the variety name, with those huge leaves ?

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 12:53AM
ka0ttic(CFL 9b)

The plant tag said "Ghost Pepper" so I am assuming its a Bhut of some kind. It's definitely a chinese from looking at the buds (more than one per node).

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 7:41AM
ka0ttic(CFL 9b)

We've had some record breaking heat in FL this month. It's been a little over a month since I brought that bhut home and it's doing amazing for one that I was going to "overwinter" lol. I was going to top it but I couldn't bring myself to do it yet. Watching it go is at least holding me over til seed starting time. Last night was only the second time I've had to bring it in for the night.

This post was edited by ka0ttic on Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 12:08

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 10:25AM
More Discussions
Aleppo Pepper?
I've heard of this variety and it's big in the Middle...
reversethong
Removing aphids from seedlings?
This is the first year I've had this problem. My seedlings...
bella_trix
How's your overwinter going?
How's everyones overwintering going? This was my first...
ozzy2001
Progress Video 3/26/15
Here's a look at my plants. Things are finally starting...
peppernovice
Crunch Sweet Orange Seed Offer
Somebody once said if you want to be happy, do something...
rt_peasant
Sponsored Products
Fairmont Designs 26" Lifestyle Collection Bowtie Vanity Combo - Espresso
Modern Bathroom
Madras Dyed Rug 8' x 10' - BLUE
$4,799.00 | Horchow
Swan Sofa
Design Within Reach
Ponticello Bridge Bathroom Faucet - Large Cross Handles
Signature Hardware
Pure Rugs | No. 1 Rug
YLiving.com