Just moved in, what should I plant now?

emg84010(5)August 26, 2013

Hello
We just moved into a nice new house and we have a decent backyard (and side yard). We have a healthy pumpkin patch and onion growing for the fall. But I wanted to plant something else before the Fall gets here and get ready for the Spring.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking carrots and maybe lettuce for now, but what should I plant for the winter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
treebarb Z5 Denver

Welcome emg! Are you new to Colorado or just moved to new digs?

We have 8 weeks or less of the growing season left, so if it's veggies your after, you should have time for lettuce and radishes. Without a cold frame or greenhouse, I can't think of much else you'll get a crop of before we see freezing temps. Hopefully Steve and Greg will chime in with some other choices. Maybe spinach and kale? You can plant garlic in a month or so.

You can start planting perennials and trees soon, but I think it's still a little warm yet.

Barb

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 10:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gjcore

Probably still a few things can get planted. As mentioned lettuce, carrots, spinach, garlic and kale. Still time for beets, radishes and for some greens (mustards, bok choy, mizuna etc.). Possibly peas but the window is about done.

Maybe you can do some cover crops - buckwheat, alfalfa, rye, clover, field peas, vetch

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 2:46PM
More Discussions
Spring Swap official site
Good Day all, Just wanted to start an official site...
gjmancini
Something New in the Tomato Patch
Often, I have allowed a volunteer tomato to grow each...
digit
Like to See What is Happening
... in Rocky Mountain weather compared to "normals." Choose...
digit
Thornless blackberries in CO?
I've got a front yard veggie/fruit/perennial garden...
packardce
Anybody bored...wanna play a guessing game?!
Trying to figure out what this bush is. This photo...
lkcrawford
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™