Chicago area growers,please help!!!

t_bred(5)June 24, 2007

This is my second year rooting cuttings and I have had great success.The problem is they all die in the winter.Last year,my rooted cuttings were established in pots for several months before I put them in an unheated barn for the winter.I did water them occasionally but they all died.Any advice regarding overwintering would be very appreciated!!!! Am I better off to just put them in the ground the first winter? Help please!!! Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chatwariq(5/NY)

I have limited exp w/ this but here goes. If you are keeping rose cuttings in pots, they are going to be affected much more by cold and dryness than if they were in the ground (not to mention not having access to the minerals and bacteria that are in soil to sustain them). However, you are right that they probably won't survive the Chicago winter in the ground. I would try burying the pots (use terra cotta) -- put them in a sheltered place (like right up against a wall), and then either dig them into the ground a few inches or mound soil up around the bottoms.

Then *blanket* them, covering the pot completely all the way to the ground, and the ground itself, with a thick layer of grass clippings -- like 5 or 6 inches thick. You'd be surprised how warm this will keep them -- you can go out on a winter day and lift the grass and feel the soil in the pots, and it will be warm.

If you put the cuttings into the ground in the summer, so that they are established by the time the cold weather comes, you could also use styrofoam "rose cones" to protect them -- I've heard they work very well.

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 11:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
t_bred(5)

Thanks Chatwariq, Maybe I will try a few each way and see if one works better than the other. We work so hard to get these going only to have them perish in the winter is frustrating!! Would the terra cotta crack in the ground? I appreciate your advice.

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
Magic Wand
Does anyone have rooted cuttings of magic wand available?...
littleblackbat
Need advice on prepping rootstock...
I am just beginning to try rooting some DR HUEY for...
bethnorcal9
Burrito Wrap Cuttings - What Should I Be Seeing?
I have tried the burrito wrap cutting method - the...
alameda/zone 8
Best Rooting Hormone?
Is there a rooting hormone powder, gel or liquid that...
g-in-fl
Question about growing from seed
So I looked outside today now that the snow has cleared...
lothlin
Sponsored Products
Chicago Aged Bronze Large Outdoor Wall-Mounted Lantern
$189.20 | Bellacor
Haeger Potteries Sage Ceramic Tear Drop Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Monica Pedersen Aberdeen Drapery
$189.00 | FRONTGATE
Haeger Potteries Double Gourd Wheat Grass Ceramic Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Chicago Cutlery Metropolitan 20-piece Knife Set
Overstock.com