Chilli Plant Bugs/Brown-Purple Staining

tas15November 11, 2013

Hi I have indoor jalape�o, cayenne and birds eye chillies which I planted from seed and moved indoors at the end of summer. They have become infested with tiny bugs which live on the bottoms of the leaves mostly (see pic):

http://tinypic.com/r/96f8cx/5

This happened before and after I sprayed the plants with soapy water they seemed to disappear only to reappear a month later! Any advice on what they are and how to get rid of them would be greatly appreciated!

Also the jalape�o plant has been developing brown/purple patches (see pic):

http://tinypic.com/r/29njcj6/5

I have been using Chilli Focus Plant since last week, and prior to that was using a tomato plant feed that apparently matched chilli requirements quite well.

Thanks for any help!

Theo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scents_from_heaven(z9b Orlando FL)

Here is the image

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 5:07PM

It appears that you have an aphid infestation. You can take the pepper outside and spray the leaves good with a blast of wanter from a hose or take it to the sink and run water over all the leaves until you remove all the aphids. They are soft bodied insects and the force of the water and being knocked to the ground kills them.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 5:40PM
tsheets(5)

Use the soap treatment again. Soak them down pretty good (particularly the bottoms of the leaves), then after a bit, rinse them off. Repeat every 2-3 days until you don't see any, then do it once more.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 8:18PM
barbge(4 MN)

tsheets, I am having a similar problem with mine only mine fly. Do aphids also fly? Or is my bug something else. I lost one Thai pepper already, and possibly a canyenne, but once I started doing the Safer brand insecticidal soap spray I've seen very few flying bugs left, and the other plants all seem fine. Just keep spraying until I don't see any more flies for a week or so?

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 8:47PM
tsheets(5)

If it's something other than aphids, I'm not sure what to tell you. But, it seems like either insecticidal soap or neem will take care of most pests. If the soap seems to work, great. Otherwise, try neem or even better, take a picture and maybe someone can give you a positive id.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 10:21PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

As has been sid, the insects are aphids. They're quite squishable.

The purple "stain" is normal coloration at the joints.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 11:45PM

Yes, aphids fly

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 1:41AM
heataddict

For the ones that fly away those are white flies on both use neem oil treatment if it is really bad you can do a week long regimen. but the hose does get rid of a lot so start there and then use the neem oil. i had a similar infestation of both this summer and with hard work you can get rid of both. the purple at the nodes is completely normal especially if you are growing indoors. i have it on my ghosts, naga vipers, and trinidads. i use a HPS but a MH might give more of the right spectrum to get rid of those as they are better for vegetative growth. if all else fails you can use a insect bomb called "Dr. Doom" which will definitely take care of your problem. i would also scrub your tent or room down so there isn't any leftover eggs. thats why they reappear after a month.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 1:47AM
More Discussions
Pepper Plant Wilting at Night
Hi All, My plant has been growing lovely, but at night...
salevene
Garden Prep - Necessary?
Hi All, I was allocated this space at my in-laws house...
salevene
Why did my Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets grow like this?
Good evening, I planted and have been growing for habanero,...
h1nsen
Tip for burning hands from working with hot pepper
I'm sure this tip has been addressed but had to share...
utdeedee
Bhut Jolokia best growing conditions?
I have some Bhut Jolokia peppers coming in the mail....
piranha338
Sponsored Products
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. 28 in. Catalina Bronze Table Lamp with S
Home Depot
Small Flower Arrangement - Set of Two
$12.99 | zulily
Pothos with Coiled Rope Planter Silk Plant
Overstock.com
39-feet Rosemary Indoor/Outdoor Spiral Tree
Overstock.com
Smooth Hold 3-Tiered Shelf in Red
$219.99 | Dot & Bo
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Catalina White Outdoor Floor Lamp with a
Home Depot
Cashmere Bunny Personalized Grow a Tree for Baby Gift Basket - GAFTB
$103.99 | Hayneedle
Cutting Garden Bright Floral Centerpiece - MULTI COLORS
$495.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™