Yellow lilies blooming now?

coloradobirdAugust 9, 2008

You know those tall gangly orange lilies (I've heard them called alley lilies)? Anyway, the shorter daylilies have stopped blooming now and I see these orange types around town. Today, I saw some that looked like the same species, but were a lovely pale yellow on much shorter stalks. The flowers were not overly small, but not as large as the daylilies I've seen. I've tried to search and find out what they are, but can't find them.

Anybody have an idea what those tall weedy lilies are called?

Thanks!!

P.S. My Asian lilies are flowering now, and they are SO gorgeous!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coloradobird

After researching a bit more, I don't think these are what some people call ditch lilies (not alley!), as they were in a lovely planting with a bunch of other perennials and ditch lilies are semi-invasive, I guess, so it's unlikely they would've been interplanted with the other perennials like that. They must've been something else.

Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!

Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 6:07PM
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

Are they true lilies---one stem with a bunch of flowers on top (rather than like daylilies with a lot of basal foliage and multiple stems)? If so they could possibly be yellow tiger lilies.

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Tiger Lilies

Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 7:31PM
coloradobird

Skybird,

Well, I'm not sure because I was driving past! If tiger lilies are blooming now, that could be what they were. I'll have to try to get a closer look next time I'm passing by (and hope I get a red light!--not what I usually hope for!).

Thanks for your response!

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 1:58PM
nicole__(z5Colorado)

If your interested in buying some very exotic day lilies, yellow or otherwise....the day lily society is having their sale tomorrow,Aug 16 & 17 at Tagawa Gardens, from 10am - 4pm. As I recall you get 2 fans for $2.50. In addition, Tagawa has a half off sale starting the same day.

Bookmark   August 15, 2008 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
The opening bell has rung
bell peppers? No, not this year, but several hot's! We've...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Something New in the Tomato Patch
Often, I have allowed a volunteer tomato to grow each...
digit
Dig your own water well?
Fort Collins City government's idea of water conservation...
ion_source_guy
getting ready!
So I decided to remodel my seed starting this year....
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Great Backyard Bird Count - 2015
Great Backyard Bird Count - Cornell Hi all, It’s...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™