Need help, disease or insect problem?

fgilles02420(z6 MA)June 27, 2006

Some, but not all, of my roses are experiencing a disease or insect problem. I had thought it was a foliage disease but I have been told by two people that it was more likely insects (although I got different opinions on what insect). I can't figure out how to post photos here, but I can email them to anyone who would like to help me.

I had thought it was foliage disease because:

1) Some are affected badly. Some aren't affected at all. And in at least one case, there is a terribly affected rose right next to an unaffected one.

2) Rose 'The Fairy' has a moderate case - and its all around the lower perimeter of the plant, encircling it. So, I thought it was a disease perhaps being spread upwards from the foliage I didn't clean up well enough last year?

3) I can't actually see any insects.

Here's my question , in any case. I was told that modified Cornell formula didn't work on insects. But then why is there horticultural oil in it? Should I go ahead and try it? Does it make a difference what brand hort. oil I use (I have "All Seasons")? And can I use this on hybrid rugosas as I've heard rugosas don't like to be sprayed - but I wasn't sure if that just referred to the chemical sprays.

More Discussions
my propagations normally turn brown/black
I have one that hasn't turned black. It has been in...
skmiller
budding versus grafting
Sorry that should read budding versus rooting Hi, This...
sutekesh Switzerland 6a
Where to find the largest selection of Florist Roses?
I live in a pretty big city, Houston, but I am flummoxed...
kfoxxed
Hawaii conditions probably not conducive to burrito method
Just wanted to share, I attempted to do the burrito...
msdorkgirl
cuttings for rooting
I have been a miniature rose lover for a long time...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™