Albas

lam702June 9, 2013

I have a beautiful alba rose, Blush Hip. I decided to plant an alba because I read they are very hardy, disease resistant and of course, the wonderful fragrance of the heirloom roses. Her fragrance definitely makes up for the once blooming habit, and if I could plant a hedge of them along the back of my property it would be great, but expensive to buy all those plants. I would love to take cuttings of her, but I don't have too much luck rooting roses. Can anyone tell me if albas root easily? I know some are easier than others, I've rooted the fairy polyantha, but never had luck with anything else.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

In general, albas are fairly nasty. That's why I only have one. Never managed to get the trick for them.

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 12:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trospero(8)

The Albas are some of the most difficult roses to propagate from cuttings. If possible try bending young canes down to where you can bury it in the soil at the base, positioning it such that at least 4 inches of the growing tip is above the soil. You will likely need to "pin" the cane into the soil to prevent it from popping back up. By next spring, you should - with any luck - have new plants ready to detach and pot up.

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 12:42PM
More Discussions
Looking every where for a Moon Shadow Rose
Okay, I have searched and researched the internet for...
stodgord488
Grafting roses on fortuniana
Hi guys, Last summer I rooted various cuttings of fortuniana...
SoFL Rose z10
Looking For Antique/Old Style Rose Cuttings
Back a few years ago when I started my rose garden,...
Debbie P Southern MD Zone 7
cuttings for rooting
I have been a miniature rose lover for a long time...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Interesting rose rooting video on the industrial scale.
Just came across this video on stenting. It is amazing...
caflowerluver
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™