Rose Newbie Needs Help

EricaBraun(9b)June 25, 2014

I am an extreme newbie when it comes to rose propagation. I do know that most roses are grafted onto different root stock, hence the suckers. What I want to know is if I root a cutting from one of my hybrid roses, will it be a clone of the parent, or something completely different?

Also, regarding rose seeds.. My roses produce seed-filled hips every year. This year one of the seeds apparently took. I have a baby rose plant that sprung up in my yard. What can I expect from a rose grown from seed? Will it revert to something wild, be a clone of it's parent, some sort of hybrid, etc?

Thanks in advance for any info that you can give me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ArbutusOmnedo 10/24

If you root a cutting from the portion of the plant above the graft, then those cuttings should produce own-root plants of the "flowering" portion of the plant. As long as you aren't simply rooting suckers, you should be producing a clone of the overstock, instead of the understock.

Assuming the baby rose plant isn't another sucker -and it obviously isn't if that picture is of the seedling- it will be a unique, hybrid variety that is probably self-pollinated, but could have been pollinated by a different rose via an insect. The likely seed parent is whatever rose is nearest to the seedling, but the pollen parent could be any number of roses if it isn't the seed parent as well. As far as I know, only species (wild) roses produce seeds that are identical or true to the parent.

Jay

Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 12:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
EricaBraun(9b)

Thank you so very much, Jay. That was exactly what I wanted to know. Your valuable information is much appreciated.

Erica

Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 1:23AM
More Discussions
Hawaii conditions probably not conducive to burrito method
Just wanted to share, I attempted to do the burrito...
msdorkgirl
First time hybridizing -- Have a specific goal. Need advice
Hello, everyone! I have been thinking of trying my...
Greg
Chicago Peace Rose Help
Ok everyone I am looking for a Chicago peace rose for...
for_my_kids
How does a Tea rose bloom on a Bourbon rosebush?
Could this have been caused only by having a Tea parent? or...
luxrosa
Winter Rose Propagation
I live in Colorado where dry air and irregular weather...
pizzuti
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™