ideas on seed collecting

kuvaszlvrNovember 17, 2011

I'd like to bounce an idea off of you guys. This year I had grand plans for seed collecting. I grow 70+ varieties that I sell at the local herb festivals, and with only 3 acres I don't have a lot of room for physical separation. I first tried gluing flowers shut, minor success, I tried bagging, more success but still not great. I was thinking next year I would buy some of those tornado shaped tomato cages cover them in cheesecloth and when the plant starts to flower cover the entire plant with the structure until the flowers drop. But, I started to wonder if that would hurt the plant by blocking the sun. Do you guys think it would work? If not, any better ideas on successful seed collecting? I'd much prefer to collect as many seeds as I can vs purchasing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ottawapepper

As opposed to cheesecloth I think a cheaper, lighter and more breathable solution would be wrapping the plants with floating row cover material .

I used it this past year on cabbage with in ill effect. The stuff I bought, see link below, also seems tight enough to block most blowing pollen from other plants. I was thinking about using it around some pepper plants next year myself.

Just a thought.

Here is a link that might be useful: floating row cover

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 11:53AM
kuvaszlvr

AHHH!! Thanks for the idea! I can't believe I never thought of row covers, it's a lot cheaper than cheesecloth too! Great idea! Thanks! and thanks for the link!

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 12:06PM
ottawapepper

Your welcome.

BTW, in my post "with in ill effect" should have read "without ill effect".

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 12:20PM
More Discussions
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
Need advice on how to suspend shop lights.
So I bought the below metal shelving to house seedling...
peps_22
Wow! Sure seems slow!
In the midst of seedling season, I would expect the...
woohooman
Lemon Peppers
I grew these last year from store bought seeds. They...
cooperdr_gw
Need A TON of help on bhut jalokias
I'm growing bhut jalokias Carolina reapers and Trinidad...
bigcatcal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™