Manzanos Not Ripe Yet

John11840(z6/CT)November 2, 2010

As usual, frost time is here and the Manzanos aren't ripe yet. I have some plants with big, beautiful pods that are almost ready to turn, but not ripe yet. Will they ripen on the counter if I bring them inside? Would it be better to dig up the whole plant and bring that inside in a pot? Any advice will be appreciated.

John A

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fiedlermeister(04/05)

I would dig up and bring pot in. Here in Maine I grow most in pots, so don't have to dig up, but often have to bring plants in to finish ripening. They do quite well with very little light if you just want to finish ripening.

john

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 5:20PM
John11840(z6/CT)

Thanks Fiedlermeister. I followed your advice and potted them. The first one has already ripened. It was a beautiful red one about 3" in diameter.

This is the 3rd year I've used your recipe for bread & butter peppers. I enjoy those very much.

John A

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 11:43AM
fiedlermeister(04/05)

I'm glad it worked for you and also that you like the peppers. After your plants finish ripening their pods you might want to cut them back and try to over winter them. They can survive with a little light and give you a big head start next year.

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 4:03PM
John11840(z6/CT)

It looks like only one of the 3 plants I potted are going to survive the transplant. The pods still seem to be ripening anyway. I'm already getting too make over-wintered plants inside. Wife is going to start objecting soon. I did save the seed from the big red Manzano.
John A

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
Resurrect my Scorpion plant?
So I have a Trinidad Scorpion plant that produced fairly...
newcoyote
Lemon Peppers
I grew these last year from store bought seeds. They...
cooperdr_gw
Are you a patron of Padron peppers for tapas?
Or would that be 'tapas (appetizer) de padron a patronis'...
bragu_DSM 5
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™