Proper way to cut roses

NancyinPatzcuaroJune 14, 2014

Greetings,

I would like to know how to cut roses. Some of my roses produce multiple buds rather than single blooms for cutting. Most produce 3 buds, with the central one being largest and earliest, but others may produce 5 or 6 buds.

I try to cut blooms well down on the stem, just above an outward-facing leaf stalk. Is there another technique that produces better results? We have 5 wonderful roses but after the first flush of bloom the multiple buds appear.

When we lived in Colorado I could never grow roses because the deer would eat the buds before they could fully develop. Now that we live in Mexico, I am enjoying being able to grow and enjoy roses. We live at around 7,000 feet with almost ideal weather, though because we don't have the severe winter conditions of Colorado I assume the local roses are a little different than the ones I knew in Colorado.

I appreciate any help you can give me to solve this dilemma.

Nancy in Patzcuaro, Michoacan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buford(7 NE GA)

Hi Nancy, you may get more responses on the General Rose Forum. As far as the number of buds go, it depends on the rose. If the rose is a Hybrid Tea, they normally have one bloom per stem. However, many times there will be side buds. What exhibitors do is remove the smaller side buds when the buds are just forming. That gives you one bloom, which will be larger than it would be if you left the two side buds. But usually when not exhibiting, most people allow all the buds to bloom. More blooms = good!.

If a rose puts out more than 3 buds, then it is likely a Floribunda, which has more buds per stem. So you should do a little research and find out what kind of roses you have. Different roses grow differently. Not all roses are like florist roses with long stem single blooms.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 8:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NancyinPatzcuaro

Thanks for responding. The dilemma is that these roses produce both stems with a single bud and stems with multiples. Something tells me that the way we've been cutting the single bud stems is influencing the production of multiple bud stems.

As for knowing which kind of roses these are, I buy them at a flower market from people who probably don't know what kind they are either. I'm very much a newbie when it comes to roses, but I'm just glad I can grow them without deer.

I'll try to post on the general rose forum with the same question and see if anyone has another idea.

Thanks again--Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
Wanted: Duc de Marlborough Rose
Hello all, I really love this rose and I would love...
LOrigan Franco
Rose Tree Grafting Project: Hydra & Ninetails/Kurama
I've recently learn about the "40 fruits tree"...
blackjacket
how do I propagate a rose bush?
and when should I transplant a rosebush that it will...
mary grether
Help! Looking for the following roses:
Does anyone know a good source for these roses in Canada?: Alba...
ruilongt
Tea cuttings
If there is anyone out there who could send me all...
bevgail9
Sponsored Products
Haddon Nesting Tables
$339.99 | Dot & Bo
Belize Round High Outdoor Dining Table - Black, 30" Round, Patio Furniture
$949.00 | FRONTGATE
Century Gold Four-Light 14-Inch Flush Mount with Royal Cut Clear Crystal
$326.00 | Bellacor
Renovations by Thomasville Westmont Ebony TV Console
Overstock.com
Ashton Olde Silver One Light Wall Sconce with Hand Cut Crystal
$150.00 | Bellacor