Cross pollinating question, can you save the pollen?

gr8heather(6b)June 2, 2014

I want to cross pollinate some roses this year, for this fall's seeds. If I collect the pollen off of one rose, can I save it for a few days/weeks until another blooms? How? Can I refrigerate/freeze it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trospero(8)

Dry the pollen thoroughly (at least 24 hours in a warm-ish, dry place, ideally on a square of aluminum foil, which can be folded for storage) then place it in a container (glass jar w/lid, or ziploc bag) then place it in the freezer. Pollen stored this way can remain viable for a year, if necessary. Allow it at least an hour to come up to room temperature before opening the container used to store in the freezer.

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 10:49AM
roseseek

The reason Trospero suggested allowing the foil to warm to room temperatures before opening is to prevent it from forming water and spoiling the pollen. Once pollen gets wet, it's virtually impossible to use. Not that it may not be viable, but how do you properly spread it when it becomes paste? You want it to remain dry until it is applied.

And, if your weather or house are rather humid, you may need to dry it two or three days until you can see pollen dust releasing from the anthers. We've had a few periods of humidity this spring and anthers required noticeably longer to release pollen during those periods. Good luck! Kim

Bookmark   June 5, 2014 at 6:08PM
disneynut1977(5b, Sunset zone 42)

Thank you for starting thread. I was also wondering about this.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 6:15PM
gr8heather(6b)

Thanks! I've begun using your ideas. :)

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 2:53PM
More Discussions
Hawaii conditions probably not conducive to burrito method
Just wanted to share, I attempted to do the burrito...
msdorkgirl
Where to find the largest selection of Florist Roses?
I live in a pretty big city, Houston, but I am flummoxed...
kfoxxed
Air layering
This may have been posted here but I could not find...
derby41
Wanted: Rose Cuttings
Anyone have free rose cuttings they would like to give...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
Rose seedlings coming up!
Just thought I'd let y'all know that I have at least...
vmr423
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™