Austrian briar (r. lutea) propagation?

sunslight(Utah z5-6)June 6, 2010

I have the pure yellow, as well as the bi-color r. foetida.

They are growing together in a tangled thicket, some 25' long and 12' wide.

I need information on how to propagate these, especially the yellow ones.

Right now, they are blooming; so, I can tell which are the yellow and which are the bi-color. The flowers will be gone in probably two weeks, leaving a developing hip in their place.

My wife has ordered me to kill the entire "useless, brier patch." But I want to sneakily save a few plants. I need help in the propagation techniques -- how to.

I've successfully propagated flowers by stem cuttings and also leaf cuttings. I tried the former with these a few years ago, but without success.

I can't get to where the plants comes out of the ground to dig suckers--I'd have to fight my way through very dense briers. I need your advise. (It seems like a shame to kill these plants--they've been here at least 50 years.)

--maybe I didn't do the stem cuttings correctly? I wasn't sure how to do it with the flowers all being in a line on a cane. The leaf nodes are about 1" apart. The flowers appear ever 2" or so. The canes are unbranched.

Thanks,

Bob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunandshadow

how are you going to kill the patch without being able to get at the roots? Perhaps you should prune the whole thing, then you should be able to get at the roots to dig a few and kill the others. Or prune all the bits you want to kill.

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 5:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunslight(Utah z5-6)

I'm supposed to hit it with round-up brush killer. Then dig it all out when dead.

Pruning is a good idea. That may give me another season, with small plants. When they bloom, I can separate the pure yellow ones from the red/yellow ones.

Right now though, I could really use help on propagation.

Some flowers are still on the plants and I can find the yellow ones. However, they are so tangled with the bronze (red/yellow)ones that I can't trace the canes of the r. lutea back to its roots.

Any suggestions on what kind of to take and how to get cuttings going right now?

Bob

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
budding versus grafting
Sorry that should read budding versus rooting Hi, This...
sutekesh Switzerland 6a
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
Where to find the largest selection of Florist Roses?
I live in a pretty big city, Houston, but I am flummoxed...
kfoxxed
Chicago Peace Rose Help
Ok everyone I am looking for a Chicago peace rose for...
for_my_kids
Looking every where for a Moon Shadow Rose
Okay, I have searched and researched the internet for...
stodgord488
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™