Saving Seed from Royal Black Pepper - red or black pods?

bella_trix(z6b SE PA)November 11, 2013

I have some Royal Black peppers that I have been growing from the original seed that I purchased many years ago. I isolated some plants this year, but the pepper pods are still black (full size, but not red). Can I save seed from these peppers or do they need to turn red? I've been protecting the plant from frost, but I don't think I'll be able to extend the season much longer. I love this plant - the leaves are a gorgeous jet black and I would hate lose it.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Bellatrix

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judo_and_peppers(Tampa FL)

if you want viable seeds you need to let them fully ripen, which in this case means let them turn red, and stay red for a few days (a week, if you can) on the plant to insure maximum viability.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 1:11PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Seeds of things like tomato and pepper, get their nutrients from the fruit, and nut directly from the plant. If the seeds are fully formed, they can mature inside the pepper, while sitting on the counter top and drying. During that time the pepper itself should also turn to its final color. If it does not,then the seeds might not be viable. JMO

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 2:50PM
smokemaster_2007

I find PLANT ripened pods to put out viable seeds at higher germination rates.
Not fully ripe pods don't in general.
Go for red,then give them a few extra days before picking for best results.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 5:50PM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

Dig the plant. Pot it. Overwinter. Plant in the high spring - or leave it potted.

And yes, while on-plant ripened seeds are best, counter-ripened seeds will usually germinate and grow.

Dennis

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 6:51PM
bella_trix(z6b SE PA)

Thanks, everyone! It is still hanging in there, despite 21F temps here. Some of the leaves were hit that night, but I'm amazed that I've kept it going. The pods are starting to turn red. I may give up at this point, bring it in bare roots (and in water) and let it sit in the house for a few weeks.

Thanks again,
Bellatrix

Bookmark   November 27, 2013 at 9:10AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Let me give you a living example:
Couple of months ago I bought some green SHISHITO peppers from Asian Market I made two jars of pickles and set aside some that were fully green and couple of them had a hint of red. I kept them on the counter And saved seeds from those that turned fully red first(the best ones). The rest was left there. They too eventually turned red. I did a test: I took seeds from one of the last ones that turned red and planted. Within 7 days they all germinated(in paper towel). Then I planted them in 3.5" pots . Now they are growing and have 6 leaves each.
Now my problem is how to keep them growing indoor til April. LOL.
I have saved seeds in similar fashion from Serrano, Gypsy, Cubanelle, Chilaca, and few others. The worst weak case was the SHISHITO that I just explained.

So, my advice is that just keep the pods(the most mature ones) on the counter until they turn red and acually as long as they do not rot. Then save seeds from those.

JMO.

Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
Are you a patron of Padron peppers for tapas?
Or would that be 'tapas (appetizer) de padron a patronis'...
bragu_DSM 5
Your Grow List --- 2015
It is getting closer to start the season especially...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
How's your overwinter going?
How's everyones overwintering going? This was my first...
ozzy2001
Pepper plant wilting
Not sure what's going on here. This plant nearly died...
uncle_flip
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™