My red long stem roses die, what happened? :-(

OctopusIncJune 25, 2012

Hello rose experts,

I recently attempted to grow roses from flowers I purchased at the store. They were long stem red roses and smelled amazing. I bought them, took them home, fluted the bottom and dipped in rooting hormone, then planted in pots with moisture tents over them. I was very happy to see them survive and shoot out some roots.

After they shot roots I transplanted one of them into soil I make for figs (pine mulch, perlite, organic cow manure, and pH adjusted to 6.2), another one I left in the pot I planted it in, and the third one I left in a moisture box. The one potted in fig mix and the one left in its pot were both then left without moisture tents.

Not long after all three died. The weather got into the 95 area and they all withered up and turned brown. What did I do wrong? Was it just the heat? Do long stem reds just not do well from flower cuttings? Should I have grafted? I'm just totally at a loss and hopefully someone can help shed some light on my dead flowers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Maude80

I planted quite a few cuttings this spring, but I made sure that they were at least a year old before going out into the garden. I think if they are not mature enough, they are not as likely to survive the transition. Also, did you slowly adjust them to the stronger light outside??

Maude

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 9:07PM
seil zone 6b MI

They probably needed to be kept more moist for a longer time. When I transplant my cuttings up from the starter cups they go into 1 gallon pots for the rest of the year and then either into the ground or a regular size pot the next spring. For the winter the stay in the little greenhouse outside.

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 10:41AM
nitric_acid(5)

With cuttings, anything can go wrong, but I would focus on hydration/heat, first, then the mix you're using second.

On a 95F day, plants can dry out very fast. A small cutting can't pull water fast enough from the soil to keep up. You also have to be careful about transplanting them into a mix that's too hot. I normally pot up in pro-mix, which has zero fertilizer, and use a very weak solution of Miracle Gro to feed them for a month or two. With a small cutting, too much fertilizer (organic included) can cook them.

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 11:38PM
More Discussions
Grafting roses on fortuniana
Hi guys, Last summer I rooted various cuttings of fortuniana...
SoFL Rose z10
rose cutting in plastic bag
I've taken 2 cuttings from a rose - picture attached...
lenarufus
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
Where to find the largest selection of Florist Roses?
I live in a pretty big city, Houston, but I am flummoxed...
kfoxxed
Best way to start from cuttings
I used to be really good at starting roses, and it...
LeeBeesGarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™