Requesting help with verbena, please?

mtntopmommaAugust 24, 2012

I live at 9000 ft. My Pink & purple verbena were doing great in my large planters on my deck. However the leaves are turning brown now. Too much water. Not enough. I water thoroughly every other day. southern exposure. Use bloom booster weekly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As I have a lot of $ invested already in these planters. Which I'm sure all of u can relate . Thank you, (tried to upload pic but option n/a)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david52_gw

You might be killing them with kindness - the times I've grown verbena, they needed minimal fertilizer, and they did best if the pots just about dry out between waterings.

They also don't over-winter outside here very well. But they do inside - again, just don't let them dry out completely, water maybe once every two weeks, but don't over-water them or the roots will rot.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 9:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Blossom_Designer(5)

I generally use the knuckle test when deciding to water a plant. That means sticking my index finger into the soil up to the second knuckle. If I feel moisture, I leave the plant alone. If the soil is dry, I water the plant until water runs out of the bottom of the planter. Be sure you don't leave any water in a tray under the planter because it'll rot the roots.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 1:25PM
More Discussions
I could build that!
Well, why not ? No, that floor isn't sloping. There's...
digit
E-mail tree?
So, I was thinking, after the difficulty I had getting...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
The opening bell has rung
bell peppers? No, not this year, but several hot's! We've...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
RMG - How do I do it -- Where do I find it thread!
Hi all, I just thought I'd start a thread here for...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
Spring Swap official site
Good Day all, Just wanted to start an official site...
gjmancini
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™