help needed

blackgavotte(5aNS)July 22, 2013

the other day I gave a sweet old lady a drive home. She lives near me. We live just outside Yarmouth N. S. My passion is roses, and since moving here in Sept. 11 I am finding that my beloved English type ( Austins) do not like the air, ground, whatever, they are not doing as well as the tougher Morden types, which I like, but do not LOVE... anyhoo.... there, outside her window, was a marvellous soft pink, fragrant rose, with a "baby" beside it which had just sprung up last year apparently. I will probably never know its name, but if I could only make a cutting which would take,... ( no, I don't have a greenhouse, timed mister, or anything special like that.) In the past I've never been able to make a cutting take. Any advice would be most welcome, this particular rose has been at her house since before she moved there, over 50 years ago !!!!!!!! and is very healthy and happy, quite lovely.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

She won't let you adopt the baby? That is probably the easiest route.

It is probably an old European type of once blooming OGR. There are a lot of them. Most of them are reasonably easy to root.

The usual type of cutting for roses is a semi-hardwood cutting. This is the same age and size that you get by deadheading, or cutting roses for the house. It should be maybe 4 or 5 inches long, with the flower removed. This goes into some sort of humid environment, in partial sun, with the idea that it will root before it rots. Exactly how you do that has a lot of variation. I've done in the ground, on the east side of the house underneath a very large glass jar, and I've done in the basement, under fluorescent lights in baggies. It's the same operation.

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 3:00PM
vrnsv

Hi. in early spring i took a few cuttings from my neighbor's rose bush, l left two sets of five leaves and used a little of rooting powder then i planted in a small pots. I left them in the balcony and from 3 cuttings only one rooted ,and last week it game me the first rose.

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 3:54PM
seil zone 6b MI

Doing cuttings is always iffy at best so don't feel like a failure. You have to keep trying and keep trying different methods until you find the one that works best for you. There are as many methods as there are growers so keep trying them out. Do a search here and I'm sure you'll come up with several right away.

I have to agree with Mad though, seems to me that baby sucker has your name on it!

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
WANTED: thornless repeat bloomers, Old Roses and Noisettes best
Have unusual tropicals to trade at tropicalgardener@gmail.com...
Tropical Gardener
Seeking R. Primula
I'd happily get this from a nursery if I could find...
Helen Forsyth
My first year growing roses from seed. I have my first bud!
I have over 30 sprouted now, and I have my first bud! How...
gr8heather
Export/Import
I am living part of the year in Belgium(Europe) and...
staart
Burrito Wrap Cuttings - What Should I Be Seeing?
I have tried the burrito wrap cutting method - the...
alameda/zone 8
Sponsored Products
Sebastian Freestanding Tub Faucet, Supplies, Drain - Lever Handles
Signature Hardware
Reverie Dining Side Chair Set of 2 in Gray
$315.00 | LexMod
Drop Pendant Lamp in Black - Large
$299.99 | Dot & Bo
Eclipse Ceiling Fan with Optional Light by Period Arts Fan Company
$384.00 | Lumens
Lawn Light Outdoor Deck Mount Fixture
Lightology