How long to leave rooted cuttings under mist

Ruth_pa5(z5PA)July 12, 2007

I've been successfully rooting rose cuttings for a few years using pool misters & a timer in a glass greenhouse. Two inch pots & plug flats sit in a bed of coarse sand. I have shade cloth on the greenhouse. I consider cuttings rooted when roots emerge from pot bottoms, resisting any temptation to tug even gently at the cuttings. My question is about transitioning cuttings. I probably leave them under mist longer than I have to, moving them to the drier parts of the sand bed rather than potting up and moving them out. Am I being overly cautious, or is there a real risk of losing my rooted cuttings when they move from the very wet conditions of the misting bench to bench in (shaded) greenhouse or shaded outdoors? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
t-bred(5)

Ruth, I have a similar setup to yours with the pool mister and coarse sand. I do them a little differently though, I have my setup in direct sun that way there is no transition.After they have rooted, I pot them up to gallon pots take them away from the mister and mist them several times a day with a spray bottle.I have lost none of them through the summer doing that.I only hand mist for a week or so. Getting mine through the winter,different story :)

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 9:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cweathersby

I actually pot them up and leave them under the mister until I think they are big enough to be pulled out and then I move them to the outer edges of the area being misted so that they still get some extra water.

Bookmark   July 15, 2007 at 2:47AM
More Discussions
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
rose cutting in plastic bag
I've taken 2 cuttings from a rose - picture attached...
lenarufus
Wanted: Rose Cuttings
Anyone have free rose cuttings they would like to give...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
Rose Tree Grafting Project: Hydra & Ninetails/Kurama
I've recently learn about the "40 fruits tree"...
blackjacket
Temperature in misting box.
Does anyone have ideas on how to reduce the temperature...
kfoxxed
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™