Help, I got a lil too anxious.

sillynasty(9)November 12, 2013

So this last summer I grew peppers (golden habaneros, bells and jalape�o) for the first time. And I'm officially a chili addict now.

Anyhow I saved some seeds so I can triple my crop for next year. Well I decided to test about 30 seeds to check they're viability and to my surprise every last one sprouted.

I was wondering how they would fare with it being so late in the year.

I am new to this and I really would hate to lose that many plants. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judo_and_peppers(Tampa FL)

if you're in zone 9 as the thing next to your name says, you should be fine. just don't plant them in the ground, and be prepared to bring them in if the temps dip below 40. they won't die unless it gets below freezing, but if you bring them in at 40 you'll ensure maximum health. peppers will do well until you or the frost kills them. if you can protect them from frost, they'll do well until you kill them.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 1:13PM
esox07 (4b)

I agree with Judo and peppers. They probably wont produce a lot of fruit during the winter but will be producing nice ripe peppers for you by early next summer.
Bruce

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 2:27PM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

You have wandered into the trap that ALL pepper growers (nay, likely "all growers") enter every year - starting way too many plants. I germinated over 100 seeds this year and even after certain unreferenceable disasters ended up growing out 80 plants. It was fun!

Anyway, starting this early is a great way to get your disasters behind you. Just keep them warm, give them LIGHT and dirt and not too much love (i.e. water) and stand back.

Dennis

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 6:24PM
sillynasty(9)

Ok. Thanks for the positivity. I thought for sure they were doomed. I just brought em in and they're under light now. The weather out here is getting chilly (for us 50 is cold :). )

But yeah I am hooked. There are so many questions I have and this forum helps. Thanks again guys.

Mike

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 6:53PM
More Discussions
Spring Is Here
Mesquites are out, and the pizz elms, bee brush, and...
tomt226
Progress video...
Here's a quick look at my seedlings. I'm way behind...
peppernovice
Time Lapse Video of Carolina Reaper Sprouting
Check it out my little reapers are finally coming up....
capsicummaximum
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Why did my Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets grow like this?
Good evening, I planted and have been growing for habanero,...
h1nsen
Sponsored Products
Upton Home Trellis Baker's Rack
Overstock.com
Retro Rotary Pay Phone
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
Hunter Lighting Hardware New Bronze Globe Adapter Kit 25263
$28.81 | Home Depot
Marchesa Terrene Bronze One-Light Wall Sconce
$174.90 | Bellacor
Innermost | Cork Small Pendant Light
$207.00 | YLighting