Leaf- bud cutting success. Purple Pavement.

overdriveJuly 19, 2013

Hi, I called it a "modified Burrito", but this is basically leaf bud method - I used just barely bloomed Purple Pavement rugosa, which is tricky because the foliage and stem will easily rot. I took semi-ripe cuttings with just two buds, and one leaf, so about 2" of stem with 2 buds and one leaf. The cutting is dipped in rooting gel, and then the entire stem is buried (which is the resemblance to burrito), just the leaf is sticking out of the medium. My medium is: partly rotted Christmas tree (rotted for 2 years and obviously full of fungal micelia) 3 parts, commercial compost 1 part, peat moss 1 part. I add 2 cups of lime for a wheel barrow full of the medium. Notice I use NON-STERILE medium - chock full of bacteria and fungi!!! I use 4" peat pots, and each tray of cuttings is covered with a plastic cover, and then I left it under fluorescent light for 24/7 at 72 degrees. Nothing else was done, and for many days I forgot about them, and didn't even check. Now at 4 weeks later, I have about 50% or more rootings success - 12 dozen cuttings, and 6 dozen rooted. The rest turn brown and die. I think I am doing pretty well! - have a nice day, paul m.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Alwayzbgrateful(8)

Congrats!!!! I wish I could have that much success with rooting! I gave it a try last fall winter and this past spring. Out of 100+ cuttings, I got 1 that my daughter (only 8yrs old) broke off my grandmothers rose bush and stuck in pot as a kinda "oops did I just do that" type thing. We tried all different methods, different types of roses, and season's. ( It started as my daughters science project and I kinda got a little obsessed, lol) I even went so far as to buy pure IBA and NNA to make my own rooting hormone. That didn't work either I rooted all kinds of other stuff like gardenias, hibiscus,bouganvillias, etc. But no luck with roses :-( So I say WOOOOO-HOOOOOO!!! Soon enough you'll have a yard and house full of baby roses!!! I'm so jealous ! ;-)

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 2:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
overdrive

Hi, I link to pictures of my indoor fluorescent garden - see below.
I attribute my success to the choice of potting mix: instead of sterile mix, I use 2 year old composted shredded Christmas tree, mixed with peat moss and garden-center compost enriched with worm casting. I believe the bacterial flora in this mix inhibits the fungal organisms that quickly overgrow cuttings when trying to go "sterile".

Here is a link that might be useful: my indoor fluorescent garden.

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 10:02AM
More Discussions
Help in propagtion of roses
Hi, I have a flower shop in Manila and we are getting...
amistad123
my propagations normally turn brown/black
I have one that hasn't turned black. It has been in...
skmiller
Best way to start from cuttings
I used to be really good at starting roses, and it...
LeeBeesGarden
Air layering
This may have been posted here but I could not find...
derby41
Chicago Peace Rose Help
Ok everyone I am looking for a Chicago peace rose for...
for_my_kids
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™