John Davis rose

blossom123(Zone 5)July 11, 2008

Hi,

I saw in HMF that this rose is a wonderful cane-hardy climber up to Zone 2b. I live in Waukesha, Wisconsin, which is Zone 5a/5b and can be taken close to 4. Does anyone grow this rose here, and how does it do for you.

Is it disease resistant in our humid weather ?

Can I grow this rose from cuttings ? Ifso, I Would love to have some cuttings and be interetsted in trading with you.

I have

champlain,

scarlet meidiland,

william baffin,

Red Eden rose

PLMK.

Thank you so much !

-Blossom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cannabisgrower

Yeah, I've got John Davis. They are fantastic hardy roses from the Explorer series developed by the Agriculture Dept. of Canada, when they still had staff, and were actually doing stuff. She would plant out the achenes in Kapuskasing, zone 2, and anything that survived there was selected. It grows well from cuttings, and I've got two growing on their own roots. I've got roses coming out of my ears at the moment, so I don't need any more. Sativa.

Bookmark   July 11, 2008 at 5:59PM
blossom123(Zone 5)

Thanks for the info cannabisgrower. I see you are in Canada, so we cannot exchange plants, is that right ?
I have never traded across the border.

PLMK.

thanks,
Blossom

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 12:33PM
cannabisgrower

I think cuttings is pretty much the same as if I went to the store and bought some cut roses from Mexico. I don't see any difference, I pick up my stuff in Michigan, because you're right, mailing things across the border doesn't work very well.

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 8:19PM
lionessrose(z4b Idaho)

Hello there.
I do have John Davis.
He is a wee bit of a feller, planted last season arriving in a 4X5 inch pot from High Country Roses all of maybe 3 inches tall.
He is an own root and nearing a little over a foot tall this season.
I am located in Idaho zone 4b, not humid here, more so hot and dry.
For his tiny little size he came back strong, made it through an unprotected winter, has new growth and gave me quite a lot of blooms this season.
I couldn't find a patent, so I assume it is okay to propagate.
I don't know if a cutting would work with his infant size but would be happy to send you one if you think you can make it grow.
Heirloom and High Country Roses normally offer it however it appears both are sold out at this time.
Lioness

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 3:53PM
More Discussions
First time hybridizing -- Have a specific goal. Need advice
Hello, everyone! I have been thinking of trying my...
Greg
Best way to start from cuttings
I used to be really good at starting roses, and it...
LeeBeesGarden
rose cutting in plastic bag
I've taken 2 cuttings from a rose - picture attached...
lenarufus
New to the art of roses, but would greatly appreciate some cuttings ..
I'm fairly new to growing and maintaining roses but...
naeger129
How does a Tea rose bloom on a Bourbon rosebush?
Could this have been caused only by having a Tea parent? or...
luxrosa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™