Aji Limon, Lemon Drop and Hot Lemon

aleksandar(8a BC)November 8, 2007

I'm having some difficulty in finding accurate info on these peppers and wonder if anyone can help. I think that the Aji Limon is different from the other two, which seem to be the same, however some identify the Aji Limon as chinense while other info suggests that all there are baccatums. I have what I believe is a Hot Lemon and would like to make sure.

BTW, it is a fabulous chile in taste, production and hardiness.

Thanks,

Alex

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lamalu

Try this site. There is a cool database that you can search. I tried and it looks like those are different names for a Peruvian pepper.
Where did you get the seeds?

http://www.thechileman.org/index.php

Bookmark   November 8, 2007 at 2:43PM
aleksandar(8a BC)

That is a very good site that I did consult, thanks. It seems to suggest that the Aji is different from the other two, but classifies all three as baccatums. Another site classifies the Aji as chinense. I definately have one of the other two according to most descriptions. I bought the plant over a year ago and I think it was labeled as Hot Lemon.

Bookmark   November 8, 2007 at 4:54PM
dangould

I think it is all the same plant and it is a baccatum. However, there might be different strains of the same thing with slightly different sizes to the peppers.

Limon looks like lemon but Limon is really also a town in Coata Rica where they grow and ship hot peppers and can refer to something different. I think the Limon can be a chinese type when it comes from Limon, Costa Rica. But I think the Limon is a red color and looks more like a standard habanero type and not at all like the yellow lemon color baccatum.

The Aji Limon name will refer to the yellow baccatum which is also called the Lemon Drop.

Bookmark   November 9, 2007 at 3:30AM
aleksandar(8a BC)

Dan,

I suspected that they were all the same, but a few small descriptive differences started me thinking that they were different. For example one site describes the Aji pods as growing horizontaly or pointing upwards. I think I'll have to grow the Aji to see if there is any true difference.

Bookmark   November 10, 2007 at 11:34AM
potawie

Limon is a chinenses. Aji Limon, Aji lemon drop, and hot lemon are Baccatums. I've never grown the Chinense, but the Baccatums are great.

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 10:11AM
zanderspice

I grow the Aji Lemondrop. It is not upright; the pepper yield is very heavy for the plants and they hang down.

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 3:57PM
dangould

Yes the lemon drop has a nice high yield. They will also grow in small containers. I consider lemon drop one of the best peppers to grow. Although after growing it I would expect some people will have other favorites. One pepper can not keep everyone happy.

I think the lemon drop peppers begin by pointing upward but as they get big and heavy they hang down.

I suspect that they would dry very easy sliced open.

Has anyone noticed a difference in the flavor and or heat in the green immature ones and the yellow ripe ones?

Does anyone have an approximate SHU value on the heat?

Bookmark   November 15, 2007 at 9:10PM
ripperbt

I Know that I grew them this year and they were pretty hot but tasty. I had four plants and there were so many that I didn't know what to do with them. Some made it to salsa and some went to people who waanted to try a "lemon" tasting pepper. They were pretty suprised.

Bookmark   November 28, 2007 at 1:15PM
fiedlermeister(04/05)

Easiest way to distinguish a baccatum is by the spots on the petals-chinense do not have them

Bookmark   November 28, 2007 at 2:06PM
dangould

There is a big pepper grower in Pennsylvania that makes a hot sauce from Lemon Drow with Apricots. sounds pretty good to me. I have no idea what the recipe might be. They sell the hot sauce. Claim it is popular. if anyone has any ideas on a recipe please post here. I like apricots so it appeals to me.

Does anyone have information on the difference in this pepper between being green and yellow. I have read a claim that it is better when green.

Bookmark   November 29, 2007 at 8:34AM
zanderspice

Better when green? I'll try one tonight and let you know.

Bookmark   November 29, 2007 at 2:20PM
zanderspice

I tried a maturing green Lemondrop yesterday. It was delicious and had a different flavor. I prefer ripe and yellow, but green is good. As expected it has a strong "green" taste component, similar to a young jalapeño or serrano. The other flavors are there too, but stronger in the ripe fruit. The green was hot, and really got my appetite going. Green Lemondrops would be good as an appetizer, but overall they taste better when yellow.

Bookmark   November 30, 2007 at 12:14PM
More Discussions
Why did my Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets grow like this?
Good evening, I planted and have been growing for habanero,...
h1nsen
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Aleppo Pepper?
I've heard of this variety and it's big in the Middle...
reversethong
First orange hab pods forming
With the spring weather conditions outside setting in...
SoCarRob (Zone 7)
MY PEPPER LIST FOR 2015
I GROW IN 5 GAL. WOODEN POTS ON MY DECK. CHARLSTON...
dac596
Sponsored Products
Tecla by Nameeks CAN01011 Bathroom Sink - White - TECLA CAN01011 0
$345.99 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Marvelous Charcoal 5' 3" x 7' 6"
Home Depot
Maxi Matic White 32-ounce Electric Hot Pot
Overstock.com
Splash & Play 3D Adventure 7 ft. Fast Set Family Pool - NT5057
$84.99 | Hayneedle
Amelia Satin Nickel One-Light Incandescent 120v Mini Pendant with Flat Canopy, S
$292.50 | Bellacor
Hampton Wall Sconce by Maxim Lighting
$118.00 | Lumens
Area Rug: Jayden Chocolate 2' x 3'
$52.97 | Home Depot
Kani Satin Nickel LED Mini Pendant with Flat Canopy and Blue Cloud Glass
$337.50 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™