Rosa rugosa sucker - No signs of life

irene_dsc(5)July 13, 2007

Help!

This past spring, I transplanted a rosa rugosa (alba) sucker from my old house to the new house. I have to admit, I didn't do much for it - dug it up, cut at the connection, put it in a pot. There was new growth on it at the time, but while it was sitting in the pot on my patio, some of the leaves all died, I assumed from transplant shock. A few weeks after I potted it, I put it in our new border. It wasn't looking too healthy, so I cut it back to just three sticks. This was a while ago - maybe mid-June?

Well, I haven't seen a single sign of life on this poor rose. I've been watering the border with a soaker hose, and most of my other plants are doing well. It is a semi-lasagna bed (since it is partly under an ornamental cherry tree) with lots of compost on top and in the hole with the rose.

Is there anything else I should be doing for this poor rose bush?

Right now, I'm thinking that if I don't see any signs of life by fall, I'm going to put my newly discovered peony there (which is in too much shade right now). But, if necessary I can find another spot for the peony (tho it might not happen until *next* fall).

Thanks for any help...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnaz5(Z5 NY)

irene..you've got nothing to lose by still watering it..don't give up hope, rugosas are tough roses..it may just be pouting..i transplanted a rugosa once that i was sure was dead, and the following spring, it decided to grow..hang in there!! donna

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 6:39PM
irene_dsc(5)

Thanks, Donna, for the signs of hope! So, I'll give it until sometime next spring, I guess. It is in a large border with a soaker hose, so it is definitely getting watered. (The whole border is new - no established plantings at all.)

(Hmm...now I'm wondering if dh turned off the soaker hose - it might be getting watered extra, extra!!!!)

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 10:25AM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

How I usually deal with suckers is to pot them up, and sit the pots in water for a couple of weeks. They come out when the rose has either produced new growth, or otherwise shown it has stabilized. Suckers can vary widely in the amount of roots they possess, and usually are getting a fair amount of support from the parent plant that has to be compensated for.

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 1:13PM
irene_dsc(5)

Thanks, MG. I suppose I should've posted a question earlier, lol. Now I know...

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
my propagations normally turn brown/black
I have one that hasn't turned black. It has been in...
skmiller
Air layering
This may have been posted here but I could not find...
derby41
cuttings for rooting
I have been a miniature rose lover for a long time...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Wish me luck!
So, I recently got the chance to get a few Red Intuition...
Joe Moose, Zone 9A
Help in propagtion of roses
Hi, I have a flower shop in Manila and we are getting...
amistad123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™