Dig up underground rose shoots?

shynonJuly 7, 2010

I bought a home in NY state that has a garden of mostly perennials. The previous owners planted a rose bush and it has spread underground throughout the perennials and there are long canes lying atop everything, with roses at just the ends. How do I manage these? Do I just cut everything back to the ground? Do I dig some of the spreading parts up and replant them? I have found the original plant and think the rest spread from there. I don't even know what kind of rose it is - if a climber or what! I don't want it to take over the perennials and if I could relocate the roses that would be good.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lookin4you2xist(9b)

you should be able to cut the sucker off at the base of the other rose. it should help the other rose grow stronger. it may be a runner , or it could be rootstock like Dr. Huey

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 4:13PM
shynon

Thank you so much. I was unsure about being able to cut them off. I have a few roses in Florida but they are bushes I bought myself and knew what to expect. This had me stumped! I didn't even know some could spread underground until I saw these. Can I cut them as soon as the flowers are gone? The roses are small pink carnation-looking, not like the petaled roses I'm familiar with.

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 8:43AM
lookin4you2xist(9b)

Interesting, can you send a picture to my email? It doesn't sound like Rootstock? Dr. Huey is Red, reminds me of a Mr. Lincoln almost.

Is the plant / small pink carnation looking flowers, the same type of flowers that are on the "mother" plant ? If you are going to cut the sucker, you can do it before the sucker flowers, the sooner the better, as it is just taking energy from the parent plant by the sounds of it. Also any idea on when the rose was planted? sounds like it could be a mystery =)
Regards,
Andrew

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 9:38AM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

What you have is probably a rugosa called Pink Grootendorst. As you have found out, they spread. If you dig them up, unless you get all of it, it will be back. You will have to keep at it.

If you want to establish one elsewhere, get as much root as possible. Preferably with some feeder roots, but not all suckering roses produce a lot feeder roots. Curl it up in a 1 or 2 gallon pot, add soil, and put the whole thing in a saucer of water in the shade. When it starts growing, it has enough of a root ball to come out of the water and be treated as a normal plant.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 11:18AM
celeegra(6 NYC)

I just moved into a new place that has a pink rosebush. It bloomed once & then stopped. It has new growth on it, but after that one early bloom, it stopped producing flowers.

Recently I was digging up the daylilies around it that looked like they were choking the rose, & I found what looks like a runner about 5 feet long. I wasn't sure if it was ok to cut this since I didn't want to damage the root, but is this why my bush is not blooming this summer?

Can I cut this off?

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 4:47PM
More Discussions
New to the art of roses, but would greatly appreciate some cuttings ..
I'm fairly new to growing and maintaining roses but...
naeger129
Air layering
This may have been posted here but I could not find...
derby41
Grafting roses on fortuniana
Hi guys, Last summer I rooted various cuttings of fortuniana...
SoFL Rose z10
Hawaii conditions probably not conducive to burrito method
Just wanted to share, I attempted to do the burrito...
msdorkgirl
Temperature in misting box.
Does anyone have ideas on how to reduce the temperature...
kfoxxed
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™