Worms in my (cooked) cauliflower...

singcharlene(Zone 5)September 2, 2010

So I was so excited to cut the head of cauliflower for dinner tonight. Perfect size, florets, everything just right.

I rinsed it really good got the steamer going and put it in the steamer basket whole. When it was done I cut into the cauliflower to put a serving on my daughters' plates when I noticed some worms, a lot of them. I looked in the steamer basket and there were several white worms (dead now) all different sizes in the steam basket. Ugh!! Talk about a let down!!

I guess I was supposed to soak it first?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Azura(z5 CO)

Hi Charlene!

I had the same experience with broccoli and the worms were broccoli colored but we didn't see them until after I had already eaten them and so had my hubby!
It took him a year to eat broccoli again. I am glad you caught your worms before that point.

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 11:16PM
jnfr(z5b CO)

The worst I had was bringing in lettuce that had earwigs in it. Ugh! Bugs are the worst!

Bookmark   September 3, 2010 at 12:00AM
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

LOL! My lettuce ALWAYS has earwigs in it! I thought they were SUPPOSED to be there! Aren't they? Actually, I separate the leaves and dunk them all in a HUGE plastic bowl filled with water in the garbage disposal side of my sink, and then slosh the lettuce around until all the earwigs have washed over the sides of the bowl and down the drain---and then GLEEFULLY turn the garbage disposal on!

Can't help with the worms in cauliflower and broccoli tho! The only time I grew it, WAY back in 70-something, the broccoli became HOPELESSLY covered with aphids, and the cauliflower was (tasted) AWFUL---and I've never tried it again!

Hope you're able to find some way to eliminate the worms next year, Charlene. I would think soaking the whole head, or the individual florets in salt water for a while would drive them out.

Skybird

Bookmark   September 3, 2010 at 1:36AM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

We had an entire lab in undergrad entomology that looked at veggies from the store (cans, fresh, frozen) and we had to pull the critters out and ID them for a grade, even if just a leg. IIRC every single product had something in it, which led to the discussion about food standards...

BTW, back when we grew broccoli I'd take the worms out and put them out for the birds. We're a popular stop for our avian friends!

Dan

Bookmark   September 3, 2010 at 10:03AM
highalttransplant(z 5 Western CO)

I've read that soaking in salt water for approx. 30 minutes helps kill the worms or at least gets them out of the broccoli/cauliflower head.

Bookmark   September 3, 2010 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
What are Your Plans
... for the yard and garden, this year? Zach has some...
digit
E-mail tree?
So, I was thinking, after the difficulty I had getting...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Your Seed Catalogs
Are they showing up in the mail box? The 2015 Stokes...
digit
Anyone interested in unusual peonies take a look at Adelman's
Just got the catalog for Adelmans Peony Paradise for...
lizbest1
roof ice damming in Denver area?
I know this isn't garden related, but was wondering...
mstywoods
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™