Buds on a cutting.

cjolliffJuly 10, 2009

I have a cutting I rooted last year from my neighbors yard. I believe it's a HT. It over wintered in a 10" pot and survived just fine, desp[ite our horrible winter season. It's put on some good growth this season, it threw up a couple little cane's well over a foot. It stopped growing for a couple of months, and I repotted it about 2 weeks ago into a 12" pot. It has since put out some new growth as well as some buds. Should I pinch the buds to encourage more root strength or does it sound like the plant is mature enough to bloom?

Another member posted a message in another rose forum, and rather than steal their thunder I decided to ask here.

Thanks in advance

CJ

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosesnpots(z8 Tidewater area VA)

Congrats on your success. The norm train of thought is to pinch the buds off. However, as some of the experts have said...Why not let at least one open so you know what you have and/or to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

I pulled a dummy this year, I rooted some just to see if I could do it and 2 that took I had forgotten to label so I have to let them bloom so I know what I have.

Liz

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 10:42PM
cjolliff

Thanks Liz, I'm excited to see it bloom. I'll be sure to pinch off the small buds in the morning. And congrats to you too, I rooted as well just to see if I can.

CJ

Bookmark   July 11, 2009 at 12:09AM
hartwood

This may be a minority opinion .... If the rose is growing well, no matter how young or small, I don't pinch off any of the buds. Your rose is a year old and it sounds like it may be ready to take its place in the garden.

Connie

Bookmark   July 11, 2009 at 8:11AM
cjolliff

Connie, you're right, it does some like it's ready for the ground. I'll be planting it very soon.

CJ

Bookmark   July 12, 2009 at 12:46PM
klinko16

i vote for let it bloom - that is what the rose loves to do - why make the rose miserable. pinch off all the buds but one, and let that one bloom. then keep pinching them off until bush is nice and big.

Bookmark   July 13, 2009 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
my propagations normally turn brown/black
I have one that hasn't turned black. It has been in...
skmiller
Temperature in misting box.
Does anyone have ideas on how to reduce the temperature...
kfoxxed
Grafting roses on fortuniana
Hi guys, Last summer I rooted various cuttings of fortuniana...
SoFL Rose z10
Where to find the largest selection of Florist Roses?
I live in a pretty big city, Houston, but I am flummoxed...
kfoxxed
Burrito Method -- aargh
Hay caramba! My cuttings got off to a head start thanks...
idixierose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™