getting rose pollen for hybridization

masterofcoffee(4)July 11, 2009

Hello all,

I have a quick question about rose hybridization, how do I get the rose pollen from the flower to come out of the anther? I have tried using tweezers to get the anther from a flower that is 2/3 open, but I don't have any pollen yet, and it is getting late in the growing season to start the rose hips in wisconsin. I am trying to get the pollen from the fallowing roses, all hybrid teas: peace, sheer bliss, radiant perfume, falling in love, and veterans honor. thanks for all of the help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trospero(8)

1) select a bloom that is somewhere between a day from opening and just barely open.
2) remove the petals.
3) select a container to hold the anthers in while they dry. Many people use empty baby food jars.
4) remove the anthers from the bloom either with tweezers or a pair of scissors, dropping them in the jar.
5) allow the anthers to dry in a warm, dry place (out of direct sunlight) for 24 hours.
6) shake the jar to dislodge the pollen from the dried anthers. At this point you should have plenty of pollen in the bottom of the jar, ready to use.

PS: its probably too late to mature a crop of Hybrid Tea seeds in your climate zone. You need to start earlier than July if you are going to get properly ripened seeds.

Bookmark   July 11, 2009 at 10:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
henry_kuska

After Paul's step 6, sometimes you have to crush the anthers to get them to release the pollen.

Bookmark   July 11, 2009 at 11:15PM
More Discussions
Help in propagtion of roses
Hi, I have a flower shop in Manila and we are getting...
amistad123
Wanted: Rose Cuttings
Anyone have free rose cuttings they would like to give...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
Temperature in misting box.
Does anyone have ideas on how to reduce the temperature...
kfoxxed
First time hybridizing -- Have a specific goal. Need advice
Hello, everyone! I have been thinking of trying my...
Greg
Where to find the largest selection of Florist Roses?
I live in a pretty big city, Houston, but I am flummoxed...
kfoxxed
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™