Mystery Pepper

scott8833November 15, 2010

I have a mystery pepper plant growing in my garden. It doesn't match any of the others that I planted, and clearly isn't what it was labelled as. It's doing quite well however, and I'm wondering what it could be. Its characteristics:

-The plant is around 2 1/2 feet tall and nearly as wide. It's early in my growing season, but this one has grown quite quickly and is one of my largest plants.

-Pods are erect and elongated. They start out green but turn purple within a few days. The largest are around 1" long, but they may get slightly larger. I haven't tried any, so I don't know the heat yet.

-Leaves are green (no purple tinge). Blossoms are white with purple edges and a purple style. The leaf shape is similar to a serrano, but with no hair.

Any ideas? Here's what I've considered:

-It looks most like a tabasco plant to me, but I haven't been able to find any instances of purple tabasco varieties online.

-I did find purple chile de arbol plants, but aside from pod shape these do not look much like my plant.

-I've grown purple ornamentals before, but nothing so large. Also, the ornamentals have had all-purple blossoms and purple-tinged leaves.

It's one of my most prolific producers so far, so if they taste good too, I might want to grow more next year.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandhill_farms(10 NV)

Posting a couple of pics would be most helpful.

Greg
Southern Nevada

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 4:05PM
More Discussions
MY PEPPER LIST FOR 2015
I GROW IN 5 GAL. WOODEN POTS ON MY DECK. CHARLSTON...
dac596
Fish pepper info?
Once more turning to my hot pepper elders... I used...
uncleflip
I had it bookmarked
It looks like it is the whole enchilada, not that cut...
ronnyb123
How's your overwinter going?
How's everyones overwintering going? This was my first...
ozzy2001
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™