time of propagation

masterofcoffee(4)July 7, 2009

hello,

I have a few questions about propagation. I just today took a section off of my rather sad looking rose, I don't know what kind it is, I inherited it from my mother, and I am told it is an english rose. I took a section about 7 inches off and dipped the end in rooting hormone, and placed it in sterile potting soil. How long will this take to root? I also plan on hybridizing some of my other roses, that are about to bloom. How do you recommend I do this? thanks for the help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hartwood

You can follow the instructions on my web site, if you'd like. I put a photo tutorial there to help other gardeners learn to root roses (and other plants, too) I also do classes, but you're a little far away. :)

The time it takes to form roots varies ... for me, Lullaby made roots to the walls of its pot in 3 weeks ... others take 6, 8, or even 10 weeks. If your cutting remains green at the soil line, there's a chance that it will form roots. Patience is the main ingredient in propagation ... it's the hardest part, IMO.

Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: Click on

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 6:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosesnpots(z8 Tidewater area VA)

Connie is so right. I am using her instructions and I have one cutting that 3 weeks later rooted and has new growth and others that I rooted 6 weeks ago that are still green but no new leaves or just starting to grow leaves.

Liz

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 11:17PM
More Discussions
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
my propagations normally turn brown/black
I have one that hasn't turned black. It has been in...
skmiller
Burrito Method -- aargh
Hay caramba! My cuttings got off to a head start thanks...
idixierose
Best way to start from cuttings
I used to be really good at starting roses, and it...
LeeBeesGarden
New to the art of roses, but would greatly appreciate some cuttings ..
I'm fairly new to growing and maintaining roses but...
naeger129
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™